Chapter One

Chapter One

Rain pounded down heavily onto the still cement. Cars roared by in a never ending blur, water spraying out from beneath the tires.

The chilly air froze every bone in my body, my breath splayed out before me in short wisps. Shivering, I picked at the think aqua colored wool sweater that provided little warmth as I made my way along the sidewalk. I silently cursed at myself for not having a drivers license, but more to the fact that I had been stupid enough to forget to wear a larger coat, or at least carry an umbrella.

Maybe the rain would let up, I though to myself as another car zoomed by, whipping water at me in the process. I stopped, my perseverance at getting to school disintegrated. Going back home sounded like heaven at the moment.

A raindrop slipped down my cheek like a teardrop, drifting into a puddle at my feet. I glanced down and stared at what was my reflection; drenched dark brown hair, exhausted pale green eyes the color of pine needles, and deep red lips. I always found it so strange that my lips were that color without lipstick, the kind on commercials that looked ready to be kissed.

A wistful sigh escape my lips. Maybe those were the types of lips I had, but I had never been kissed. Never have been loved.

Of course I've had boyfriends, quite a few actually, but none of them had really loved me. Not really. At least, not the way real love was suppose to be. No teenage boys these days actually had that emotion. They only “liked” girls, and it was usually for looks.

I'd been close to a first kiss, many times, but for some reason, it never happened. Something always occurred when it was about to happen, though I don't know how. Maybe it was fate telling me that they weren't the one.

Even though getting home and cuddling by the fire sounded like such a good idea, I decided to head in the direction of school.

Trying to ignore the pain the cold caused, I trained my focus on my breathing.

A strange sensation swept over me, making my legs come to a stop.

A wary sense took over my emotions. I felt as if someone was watching me. No, I knew it. Someone was watching me.

Trying not to seem to obvious, I whipped around in search of the person who had started to make me nervous. A hesitant lump formed in the back of my throat. No one was there.

Filled with trepidation, I cautiously turned back around. I could have sworn someone was watching me. Whenever the tingling of heat rushed down my spine, I knew someones eyes were on me. Usually, it was for times when I was drawing attention in a crowd. But this time, it was different. Like if a stalker was watching me. Like someone wanted to hurt me.

The very idea made me shudder.

That's when I felt the hands on my arms.

A shriek erupted from my mouth. My heart hammered in my chest as I stumbled backwards. I caught myself in time, skidding slightly on the sidewalk, missing the road by inches. My whole mind was on full alert, but a part of my saneness crashed when I realized there was no one around. Everyone was packed away safely inside buildings or in their cars, unlike me.

The rain started to fall harder, making it hard to see the way each rain drop stuck onto my eye lashes. I groaned inwardly. Just my luck.

Reluctantly, but leisurely, I shakily stood up, my legs feeling unbearably numb beneath me. Had I really imagined those hands? But I knew I had felt them.

The empty sidewalk around me seemed to prove otherwise. Maybe I was going crazy.

My shoulder slumping in defeat, I picked up my bag which had fallen to the ground along with me, and began trudging forward. I pulled out my phone from the pocket of my soaked jeans. It didn't turn on like I'd hoped it would. My phone was dead.

I groaned again. Now I couldn't even call for help.

West View High School felt like a million miles away, but I knew I was getting close when I analyzed the land marks. A mixture of confusion and surprise entered my mind as I cocked my head to the side. There was a guy, standing not too far from where I stood. It was hard to make out his features, because of the rain. But, for some reason, I could easily read the the emotion that he was displaying, and it was one of distress.

The part of me that always worried about others, even strangers, snapped into action. I was about to call out to him, when I felt someone shove me from behind.

A strangled cry left my throat, but it stopped altogether when the breath was knocked out of me. My knees tumbled out from under me. I stuck my hands out in front of me, trying to soften my fall. It didn't help.

Cuts immediately surface onto my palms, my head ricocheting off the asphalt of the road. I whimpered in pain. And that's when I realized I was laying right in the middle of the road, never ending rain still collapsing freely from the sky.

And it was at the last moment that I noticed the car coming straight for me.

The blinding headlights were the first warning for me to get out of of the way, but I couldn't. My body felt stiff, I couldn't feel anything. It was too late.

I closed my eyes tightly. This was it. This was how I was going to die. I was going to die as a girl soaked in rain. That's how I would be remembered.

When the screeching of tires pierced the air, I clenched my bleeding hands into fists, even though it sent the pains in my hands to radiate more fiercely.

The hit I was waiting for never came.

Sounds of screaming and car doors opening and shutting made me open my eyes. I realized I was alive.

I gasped in bewilderment. Miraculously, the car had missed me by inches. But that's now what had astonished me.

Sirens roared in the distance, and I barely noticed the people rushing over to help me.

Because I should have died. I know I should of. It would have been impossible for the car to have stopped in time, especially since the rain had provided less friction and a slick surface.

But what I found strangest of all was that when I opened my eyes, I swore I thought I had seen a face. There was no way I could have been sure, because the face had disappeared before I could register its authenticity. It left me struggling to decide if it had been real, or my imagination.