Chapter Two

Please vote, comment, and enjoy!

Chapter Two

Much of everything after that passed in a faint blur. I remember them asking me if I wanted to be checked out at the hospital, but I had refused. I remembered them taking me home in the police car, while I stared blankly at my hands. Where there should have been scrapes and blood, there was healing cuts. My head hadn't hurt, even though I remembered the pain I had felt when my head had made contact with the ground. I remembered getting home, how my parents had been so relieved when I walked through the door with the officer.

And I remembered that face, the one I believed to have saved my life.

The officer had questioned me in the living room about how I had fallen into the middle of the road. I had replied by telling him I was unsure. Falling into the road had not been my intention. I said that it was an accident. Somehow, the wind must have been gusty enough to push me, or I had somehow tripped. Something explainable, something possible. I didn't say that I thought someone had pushed me, and then disappeared the next second.

He had accepted my responses, then left, after thanking us for our time. After that, my parents had sent me up to my room, telling me to get some rest.

“Eve!”

The school bell coursed throughout the grounds and hallways as students trampled into the building. Fresh green mowed lawns surrounded the high school, the sun resting in the sky, glinting off the flowers and grass. It was so sunny today, especially compared to the day before.

I froze at the entrance of the senior hallway, my bag hanging limp off my shoulder. A group of screaming girls jumped at me, stealing the oxygen from my lungs in their famous choke to death bear hugs.

“We thought you were dead!” my friend Ally cried. “There were so many rumors spreading around, and then the local news had said-”

“That I had almost got hit by a car, but I didn't,” I interrupted, trying to calm her down.

“We're happy you're okay,” my other friend Charlotte said, getting to the point. “And we also can't believe it happened. You should hear what everyone is spreading around.”

“About me?” I asked. They nodded in response.

“Nothing bad though,” another voice added. I spun around to find it had been Amber who had spoke. Today, she had tossed her dark black hair into a half up half down bun; dressed in a leather jacket, dark jeans, and high heeled boots.

I glanced back at Ally and Charlotte, the Ross sisters, who also just happened to be twins. Their platinum blond hair had been styled to perfection, the curls of hair rimming their faces. They weren't exactly duplicates of each other though, not according to their personalities.

Ally was more outgoing, as in captain of the school's cheer leading squad.

Charlotte seemed to keep to herself in public, wearing only t-shirts with shirt logos and everyday jeans. Though that didn't really help; you were always noticed if you hang out with out crew.

“If nothing bad, then what?” I asked as we started down the hallway. I was recognized the moment someone laid eyes on me, and then they started yelling,” I'm glad you're okay,” or,” was it scary,” and, “you almost got hit by a car and you still look fine!” The last comment, I tried to ignore.

“Well,” Ally said, smiling to a few people as we passed the lockers,” some people think that you didn't fall into the road by accident. A few people think that you were pushed instead.”

Those words brought me to a stop.

“What?” I asked, my voice cracking. Had there actually been a witness to what had occurred after the moment the car had almost impacted me? “Who did they say did it?”