Chapter Three

Sorry this post took so long. I tried to finish most of Cloaked Beauty so that there wouldn't be anything else I needed to worry about. Please vote and enjoy :) And because you guys were nice enough to read this chapter, I'll give you a sneak peak of the last chapter of Cloaked Beauty.

Chapter Three

-------------------

Someone was watching me.

The repetitive tick tock of the clock echoed in the room.

Pencils scraped smoothly against rough paper as if in a race against time.

My eyes narrowed as I stared down at the science equations before me, uncomprehending the perplexing problem. There was no way I was going to be able to translate the freaking foreign language.

I couldn't concentrate. And the confusing question was only part of the problem.

Hesitantly, I settled my pencil onto the stiff black rectangular desk that sat adjacent to the classroom's lab counter, and glanced behind me. Everyone was intensely focused on their tests, the way I should have been. I turned back around, more perplexed than I had been before. No one had been watching me, yet I felt like there had been.

Trying to push the nagging feeling away, I turned my focus back to the the test before me. I didn't want to mention my suspicions to Mrs. Bethany, my chemistry teacher. She had been the only one who didn't seem to link me with the ghost idea, and I wanted it to stay that way. I didn't want to give her any reason to change her mind.

My eyes blankly scanned over the beakers on the counter top. I still had time to finish the test...

Glancing at the clock, my heart skipped a beat. There was only twenty-five minutes left and ten questions left to attend to.

Gripping the pencil tighter in my grasp, I placed the tip to the paper. Scanning the question, I sighed. Staring at it longer only made my frustration grow. Biting my lip, I tilted my head. Maybe I could skip it and come back.

A loud crash extracted me from my internal conflict. My eyes widened in bewilderment.

The beakers along the counter began collapsing onto the table. The other students at the table jumped away from the table in shrieks. I couldn't move. My mind was stuck.

I glanced down at the table. A mixture of fright and awe on my face was reflected onto the hundreds of glass shards. Everyone stared at me in shock. My mind slowly processed the scene.

“What the-”

“Watch out!”

I suddenly felt an arm wrap around my waist, pulling me from my seat in one fluid motion. The hard tiled surface of the biology room floor “cushioned” my fall. There was another crash as two more beakers followed, shattered glass consuming the table and chair I had been in. A long silence followed.

“Are you alright?” someone whispered. Hesitantly I turned, coming face to face with Ethan Lend. His brown eyes were deep with concern, his brown hair looking ruffled and unruly.

“I'm fine,” I whispered. If he hadn't grabbed me and pulled m out of the way, those skidding glass pieces would have killed me, or at lest injured me to an unbearable extent. What I wanted to know was how the beakers had crashed in the first place. I hadn't bumped into the counter, so what was the cause?

Oh no.

I had a sudden revelation as I glanced up at everyone's shocked expressions. There actually wasn't a reasonable explanation for what had happened, but I know what one thought was coursing through their minds.