ii. it really is you

She was back in the car, the city flashing by her. Aelin (she figured if she was going to give the family a shot, might as play the part. What's in a name, anyway) leaned her head against the window.

Marta drove silently, glancing back on occasion.

Aelin's thoughts were fixed on Arobynn. For many years, Arobynn had been many things. Father, teacher...he always toed the line between caring and controlling. He'd been manipulative and possessive, which had become glaringly obvious as the years went by. Especially after the incident.

Her hand strayed to her locket Sam had given her again and she thought of the picture frame in her bag. It was them at an amusement park. She had been looking at the camera with a wide smile, cotton candy in hand. Sam had been looking at her, with this aching fondness.

Arobynn had taken that away from her. She had only thought to return the favor and make his life miserable. She'd messed up one of his "investments." Wrecked the Vaults, owned by an angry, sadistic man named Rourke Farran.

She shuddered as she thought of his roving eyes and sleazy smirk. Then, her mind flashed to Arobynn's body on the cool metal table. She'd needed to see it, to confirm he was actually dead. His skin pale, his red hair blending in with the garish color of blood, and most importantly, the mark carved into his chest. R.F, for the man who killed him.

Because she'd wrecked the investment. The thought brought her a confusing mix of grim satisfaction and a twinge of pain.

Her leg started to shake. The dead wracked up, their names searing the inside of her head. Her mother, Sam, Arobynn. She thought of others, people she'd loved, people she'd hated. All their faces and names memorized.

Sometimes she wondered if forgetting would be easier.

"Something to drink?" Marta asked, dragging Aelin out of her dark spiral of thoughts.

"Sure."

Marta stopped at a small diner, told her to wait in the car. She was only gone for a few minutes and returned with one chocolate and one strawberry milkshake. She handed Aelin the chocolate one.

"Chocolate's my favorite," Aelin admitted. "How'd you know?"

Marta gave her a sad smile. "Just a guess."

Just a guess. Marta was lucky she was a half decent actress. She was unlucky that Aelin was great at seeing through disguises.

Aelin sipped on her milkshake, the cold feeling and delicious taste of chocolate keeping her grounded in reality. She resolved to avoid the past, at least for the car ride. Instead, she would dream about a future.

And for the first time in a while, Aelin had hope. She reminded herself to keep her expectations low. Her traitorous heart, however, didn't listen.

Raindrops fell and shattered on the ground, soaking Aelin's thin blue shirt and leggings. She was currently hiding under a tiny ledge of the train station, peering out into the hazy veil of rain to find a car.

Marta had left her at the train station, with a list of instructions. Aelin had only half listened. She'd taken the train, watching as the blue sky started to lose its color, edges morphing into gray. Then the clouds opened up.

And now she was outside, waiting for the flood to come and wash her away. Aelin liked the thunder and lightning. Found the rumble comforting. But she didn't enjoy standing outside during the storm. It was cold and miserable.

She sighed, sitting down straight in a puddle. She didn't care anymore. Clutching her bag to her chest, she considered how long she'd have to wait there. She could go back into the train station, but didn't like the man eying her from the corner. She didn't need to get into trouble, so she'd take her chances catching pneumonia.