xxvi. pretty and deadly

Luckily for her, Aelin recognized one of the girls huddled near their target.

Ansel, otherwise known as the Queen of the Wastes. Aelin slid in beside the girl with wine red hair and smirked.

"Celaena," the girl said, a spark of recognition in her eyes. The two had fought together before, back home. She hadn't expected to find the redhead here, but she supposed it made her job easier.

"Annie," Aelin said with a smirk, knowing she hated the nickname.

Her target, a man by the name of Cain, looked over. "Who do you have there, Ansel?"

Ansel slung an arm around the blonde girl's shoulders and introduced her.

Aelin sent Cain a sly look through her long lashes and held out a hand. She fought the urge to shudder as the man reached over Ansel to grip Aelin's hand and place a kiss on her knuckles.

"A drink for Miss Sardothien, please," he said to the nearest waiter.

The waiter bowed and slid Aelin a stiff drink. She took a few small sips, making sure she was sober enough for the plan.

Her and Ansel chatted for the next few minutes, all the while Aelin sent Cain more lingering glances.

When she finally excused herself and left the booth with an extra sway of her hips, Cain quickly followed after her. She snaked her way behind the bar to a secluded hallway, a pair of hands landing on her waist.

Cringing internally, Aelin turned to meet him and guided his hands away. Smiling coyly at him, she said, "couldn't resist?"

"I can't resist beautiful things," the man breathed.

"Beautiful things can still be deadly," she said.

His gaze dropped to her chest before going back up. "Everyone's deadly here," he said.

"I would expect nothing less from the Shadow Market," she said, trying to maneuver the conversation where she wanted it. She leaned against the wall, Cain barely inches away from her.

He smirked. "Of course. This is where the best of the best go. Our fighters and supplies are top notch."

She shrugged. "Seems average so far."

His eyes flickered darkly. "Far from it. I take it you haven't heard of our newest weapon?"

"Weapon?" she asked, pasting a confused look on her face.

He glanced around and hissed. "Hellfire. A deadly explosive, enough to melt the flesh from someone's bones."

She twisted her face into a mix of disgust and amazement. A tiny flicker of fear ran through her bones. What other weapons did the Valg have?

"How do you know?"

"I'm in charge of the next shipment," he said proudly. Typical.

"That's certainly impressive," she said, toying with his shirt collar.

"Why don't I show you some? Somewhere more private," he added, voice dropping into a low rasp.

"Why not?" she said coyly.

He sent her a sleazy grin and grabbed her wrist, dragging her further down the hallway. A set of stairs brought them up to a nicer hall, one with thick carpet and paintings lining the halls.

Time for phase two of the plan.

Cain pulled a key out of his jacket pocket and unlocked a door, leading her into his office.