Chapter 7

I walked out of the Principal's office in a haze. How could Sienna be missing? It wasn't like she went for a drive and forgot the way home. If she didn't return, she was choosing to stay gone. But why? And why was I learning about it from the Sheriff? I was certain Sienna would have told me if she was planning to run away. This was a life-changing decision, not a trip to the mall. I would have tried to stop her but no matter what, I wouldn't have ratted her out, and she knew that.

If it wasn't her choice to stay gone and something had happened to her... No, I simply couldn't allow my mind to go there. I took my phone from my back pocket with a shaky hand and checked her Instagram page. No new posts in nearly 24 hours. No activity on any of her social media accounts. This wasn't like Sienna. If she wasn't online, then she wasn't...

Somehow I made it to the restrooms where I let the water run until it wouldn't get any colder. I splashed my face and ordered myself to wake up. Nothing happened. I squeezed my eyes tight and when I opened them, I was still leaning over the grimy sink, staring at myself in the cloudy mirror. It wasn't a nightmare, it was true. My best friend had vanished and I was as stumped as everyone else.

I continued splashing my face. Water spattered on my blouse and traveled down my sleeves. Wet hairs got glued to my temples. I didn't care.

The bell rang and a couple of girls barged in, laughing and trading second-hand gossip. I couldn't stand the glee in their voices. How could they be so carefree when my world was crumbling down? I grabbed my stuff and trudged past them. I paused outside the restrooms, unable to remember where I had to go next. What was my next period? Did it matter? On autopilot, I drifted to my locker, opened it, and threw in my binder. Absentmindedly, I stared at my school books as if there was a hidden clue stashed among them.

"You okay?"

Startled, I slammed the locker door only to find Arlo standing on the other side.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you."

"You didn't scare me," I retorted, not making eye contact.

I was already scared out of my wits.

He shifted his weight from one foot to the other, waiting for me to say more but I just stood there scratching at my throat.

"Is something wrong?" he asked finally, sounding concerned. "You didn't come back to class. And you're melting."

I glanced at the wet spots on the floor where water had dripped off my hands. Melting? That was funny but I couldn't muster a smile.

Kids brushed past us hurrying down the hallway, cracking jokes, making plans, oblivious to the fact that one of us was missing. They would hear about it. Soon enough everyone would know and Bruler High would never be the same.

"Can I help?" asked Arlo.

Let me see. My best friend is missing. You know who I mean, the blonde girl you were asking about. She vanished in the night. Unless you know where she is, there is nothing you can do.

"I'll be fine," I snapped, reluctant to open up about what was going on. He was a fool if he thought I would turn to him for comfort. I hardly knew him.

Arlo sized me up, fully aware that I was lying but decided not to push it.

"If you say so."

Feeling faint, I leaned onto the wall of lockers for support. Why was I being standoffish? He cared enough to come to find me and offer to help.

"Listen-," I began but before I could say another word, Victor swooped in and hugged me. His face was flushed, his words breathless.

"I heard about Sienna."