Chapter 8

On any given weekend, the parking lot at the trailhead would be teeming with vehicles but it being a Monday morning, we were alone. There were no hikers nor Bigfoot-spotters milling about and combing the woods.

Parked in the spot farthest from the road, Sienna's car was crouching in the shadows on the edge of the empty lot like an animal lying in wait.

Can an inanimate husk made of metal and glass seem ominous? You bet.

Cody swallowed loudly.

"Guys is that-" he began but failing to come up with anything that wouldn't sound ghoulish or morbid, he bit his tongue.

"Yeah, it is," whispered Victor, not taking his eyes off the car.

Something in his tone made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. The first glimpse of the Mini Cooper had filled me with hope. If her car was here, Sienna was bound to be nearby, right?

But now it dawned on me that finding her vehicle abandoned in the wilderness couldn't mean anything good. Even if she had gone to the cabin with someone last night, she wouldn't still be in the woods. Not if she could help it.

The other possible explanation for her car being left behind in the empty lot was even more sinister. Were we about to discover her body inside?

My analytical mind told me I better get ready. My heart said, shut up.

"Dude, how did you know she was here?" asked Cody.

Victor and I traded glances.

"A lucky guess," he answered, keeping his face blank.

That was smart of him. It was best not to reveal too much until we had figured out what it was that Arlo knew and how.

The three of us approached the Mini Cooper cautiously as if the car was booby-trapped and any sharp movement could trigger a massive explosion.

My heart was beating so loud, I was sure Victor and Cody could hear it.

A voice in my head kept screaming at me to get out of here before it was too late. Don't go near that car! Unless you're ready for what's waiting inside!

I had to use all my willpower to stop myself from bolting to my bike and pedaling away. What was I going to do if Sienna's body was in there? Would I be able to cope?

Moot questions. She was my friend. I had no choice. I had to look.

A few more steps and we were next to the car.

"Don't touch anything," said Victor.

He prided himself on being familiar with police procedures because of his dad. But he didn't need to warn us, we had seen our share of detective shows.

Holding my breath, I leaned in and peeked through the passenger-side window. I took everything in at once. The red leather upholstery she was so proud of. The small Eiffel tower figurine dangling from the rearview mirror. A greasy fast food paper bag on the floor. I exhaled with relief.

Sienna wasn't slumped over the steering wheel. She wasn't lying prostrate across the back seat. The car was empty.

We circled it without touching anything. The interior of the car was undisturbed. There was no sign of blood or of a struggle having taken place. Nothing out of the ordinary.

It was as if she had stepped out and would be back any minute.

"What do we do now?" asked Cody, uncharacteristically somber.

"We call for help."

Victor took out his phone and dialed. He pressed it to his ear expecting to hear the 911 dispatcher ask about the nature of our emergency but almost immediately, his face dropped.