six

Billie tried her best to limit her interactions with the young Gilbert not wanting anyone to get suspicious with his mysterious new ghostly BFF.

It wasn't just that either. Billie felt she was being a little selfish clinging to her only form of human contact, seeing as he was still very much alive and had a whole life he had to live that had positively nothing to do with her.

It made sense, creating some distance from him. Sometimes, she would sense him calling her, a skill she wasn't sure all ghosts had and speculated it could have something with her previous abilities. She would feel that familiar prick of alertness at the back of her neck, knowing it was coming from Jeremy, but would ignore it and simply continue a mostly mundane existence.

Of course, sometimes it wasn't Jeremy at all who was speaking about her. There had been a time Billie spied on an argument, shortly after Stefan and the newly vampiric doppelganger broke up, in which her name was mentioned multiple times. Enough that she couldn't resist her curiosity.

"Don't try and turn this on me, Elena. If you had any decency about you, you would have come clean about your feelings for Damon, instead of leading us all through hell." Stefan had said, his voice grating as it raised in volume.

The hurt on Elena's face had been clear, before she tried to hide it with a scoff. "You're such a hypocrite and you don't even know it."

He'd frowned, tilting his head slightly to the side. "What? How the hell am I a hypocrite?"

That scoff came again and a little fire ignited behind her eyes. "You're gonna make me spell it out for you?"

Stefan shrugged with a barely there patience about him. 

Elena opened her mouth, closing it again as though she didn't want to say her thoughts out loud. "You expect me to believe there was never anything going on between you and... and Billie."

Billie, who had watched with a concerned frown until now, let out a belt of a laugh. "Oh, you really went there, huh Gilbert."

An expressionless mask fell over the Salvatore, he didn't even seem to be looking at Elena any more, almost through her, like his mind was knocked away by the surprise of her words.

She was quieter too, the very act of speaking her name had almost sucked all the life out of their argument. "After you came back, something was different between you two." Elena shook her head once. "I could see it in the way you looked at her. She took care of you, and I'm grateful, but... it was stupid of me to think there wasn't any more to it."

Billie was outright howling with laughter from where she sat in the corner of the room. She could barely breathe. She felt the hot sting of tears at the corner of her eyes from the intensity of her mirth.

Despite her ridiculous reaction, they couldn't hear her and the situation remained rather tense.

Stefan smiled without warmth nor humour, shaking his head and giving Billie the impression that he was almost about to cry. He stuffed his hands in his pockets, looking up to meet Elena's eyes meaningfully.

"I really hope he makes you happy, Elena."

And he strode out in silence.

Billie watched him pass her spot by the door, accidentally bumping shoulders with Jeremy as he was strolling into his room.

Seeing the psychic made her panic ever so slightly, seeing as she'd been trying to avoid him for weeks. 

Stefan apologised quietly to the teen and Billie watched as he turned his head slowly towards Elena's room, catching Billie perched on the edge of her table by the door.