thirteen

Willa pulled her lips away from the red nozzle, eyes still closed and savouring the euphoria of her snack. She snapped herself back to the present abruptly, distancing herself from the empty blood bag as much as possible before passing a trash can and popping it in.

Four months and the idea of drinking blood still made her recoil in disgust. She still couldn't work up the courage to drink from a person and Billie wasn't sure if she ever would.

But that moment when it was running down your throat, warming your hunger and clearing your thoughts. Oh, it was almost a feeling to kill for.

Almost.

She hadn't taken a life before and Billie wasn't gonna start now, though since her transition, it had become all too appealing of a prospect.

"Pull yourself together, idiot." She muttered indignantly, concluding her less than exciting, self-tour of the area.

The sky was beginning to darken, so Billie figured it was time to start heading over to Stefan's place, having been texted the address by Ivy shortly after she'd left.

Billie dropped into the nearest liquor store to grab a bottle of some moderately cheap wine she found, having the opinion that bonding over horrible drinks was the real way to properly get to know someone. 

She wasn't so sure about Ivy just yet. Sure, she was a lovely girl, but what confused her most was what Stefan was doing with her? From the brief time she'd seen them together, it seemed Stefan merely tolerated her, while Ivy was substantially more invested in their relationship.

The clairvoyant walked over, not feeling the need to rush. bottle of wine swishing and swaying in her grasp. She was a little late, but nothing too drastic.

Billie pushed the door open, having a direct view to the living room-slash-kitchen-slash-dining room.

"Billie?" The first thing she heard. Caroline, who had been facing towards the door immediately uttered with a confused frown.

Billie eyed Caroline and Enzo, who she spotted among the company, a friendly, yet somewhat suspicious smile on her cheeks. 

"Well isn't this a surprise."

"So... how do you guys know Stefan?" Ivy began, trying to wade through the cement thick tension around the table.

"He, Billie and I went to highschool together. He... used to date my best friend." Caroline answered for the vampire guests at the gathering. Ivy pursed her lips with the slightest awkward smile at the strange tone in Caroline's voice, assuming it was bitterness when really, it was just difficult to put their situation into words. The blonde quickly moved to clear the air.

"Not that he's not allowed to date. I mean, they broke up, it's just... I didn't realise that he had met someone." The clarification eased the atmosphere a little, but it still weighed down on the group heavily.

Billie drank a mouthful of her cheap wine, downing the liquid courage to get through the night. She seized control of the conversation before awkward silence could fall on them. "Tell me, how did you guys meet?"

Stefan and Ivy shared a look. "Ivy's car was in the shop... where I work." He seemed to latch his eyes on Caroline as he tentatively revealed the information and Billie's eyes widened slightly at the blonde's reaction, realising she had not known. "You work at an auto repair shop?"

Billie grasped her glass once again, hiding the bottom half of her face with it, flicking her eyes back and forth between the two.

The Salvatore took a little breath. "It's relaxing."