Chapter 4: The Training Begins

A warrior with neon yellow hair walked in front of our group at a brisk walk, as a couple others followed close behind us. We couldn't slow down by even a fraction of our pace without some warrior behind us yelling for us to hurry up.

"You all will need to learn how to dig your mental power out of your brain and put it into physical form. To do that you must learn how to focus. Focus on what you want to happen." the warrior with the neon yellow hair said casually as she turned towards a door and opened it. "This is why these powers are called mental, because of all the mental work you have to do to activate them. With physical all you have to do is a physical action and the power affects it."

With a gesture from the warriors we all sat on the cold wooden floor of the room. The room itself looked like a gigantic gymnasium with a high roof, marked floor and full of empty space. It really seemed odd the Magister would have this in his castle, but yet why not have it if you were going to train your new warriors in the castle?

"I will be your so-called teacher. You all will have five so-called classes with their own teacher for each." She looked at us sternly. "Now, you'll all call me Warrior Stan."

"I thought she was a girl." giggled a girl beside me. "What girl's name is Stan!"

"It's her last name." I hushed the girl and got a nod of approval from Warrior Stan who was giving the girl a look that could kill.

Warrior Stan coughed to bring the attention off the rude girl and back upon herself. "I will be teaching you how to activate your powers and once you master that fight with them. I am your combat teacher and will be until your training is officially over." her tone was rough as if she was angry with us for being here, though it wasn't our fault.

"We're stuck with her?" a frightened Adel asked a girl beside her-whom I guessed was her friend-in a whisper. She sat a couple of rows in front of me, but paid me no attention.

"This is going to be hard." whined the girl back, she was loud and the whole room could hear her. Including Stan who made her shrink back with one look. Note to self, don't upset Warrior Stan.

"Yes it will be hard. Starting with you all running ten laps around the gym!" her voice sounded deadly and we all rushed to our feet and ran the laps before we could be the next victim of her fury.

The rest of "class" went on like that. Warrior Stan would make us run laps, do suicides, push ups, sit ups, and the like. Not once in the two hours she kept us there, did she let us stop for more than two minutes. If we didn't do everything to her standards, she'd kick us, and scream at us. By the end, everyone was groaning in pain and trying to catch their breath.

"I thought you said you were teaching us how to use our powers! Our powers are mental!" one girl complained as she bent over at her waist, kneading her stomach and breathing hard. If I hadn't been doing the same thing, I would've felt sorry for the girl, but all I could worry about right then was my pain and if Warrior Stan would make us run more for the comment.

"The physical strength you inquire during this will build up your mental strength. Plus, you'll have to be doing this soon enough, as warriors you're always moving, so starting this now will help." Warrior Stan actually laughed and then her eyes tightened and her lips went thin. "Now all of you get lost and follow the other warriors to your next class."

I wanted to be out the door as fast as I could to get away Warrior Stan. I wanted so badly to be part of the crowd that booked it out of the room, but I couldn't make my feet move faster than a slow walk. I could not show weakness. Let her make me run another lap, my brain told me. It wouldn't let me show any fear.