Chapter 5

"Take it easy, dad

"Take it easy, dad."

I looped my elbow through his as he climbed the stairs to his front deck instead of using the ramp he'd had installed after his accident.

"They're just a few stairs," he said, waving off my worry despite accepting my help. After breakfast, we'd gone on a stroll around the block, and while light exercise was encouraged with his condition, it also wore him out. Evidenced by the shallowness of his breathing I picked up on as he took a seat on one of the rocking chairs.

I waited until he was situated to ask, "Did you want me to bring your tea out here?"

"That'd be great," he replied. "And my—"

"Medicine," I finished for him, knowing his routine by heart at this point. "Yup, be right back."

In the kitchen, I flicked on the kettle and opened the cupboard directly above it, pulling out a large mug as well as a packet of earl grey. Waiting for the whistle to go on the kettle, I reached over to my dad's pill organizer and opened the lid to see a variety of different colored capsules. It always brought my mood down seeing what he had to digest each day just to carry on semi-normally with his life, but I knew without them, it was likely he wouldn't be here.

When the kettle sounded, I picked out the two pills he was meant to take before making the tea and returning outside, where the early June sun was shining bright and making for a gorgeous day.

"Here, dad," I said, passing him the pills first and watching him swallow them before handing over the mug. "Careful, it's hot."

His frail hands cupped the mug close to his mouth as he sipped slowly. "You didn't make anything for yourself?"

I shook my head, taking a seat in the empty chair next to him. "I had a coffee this morning already, and I'll make myself something when I get to the store."

A light hum left his lips. "And how are things with you?"

"They're good," I said, pulling my feet up and underneath me as I turned to face him. "The tourist season is ramping up, so last weekend we were fairly busy, and I'm sure it'll only get busier. I think I also mentioned that June and I are testing a bunch of summer treats, and they seem to be selling well. Plus, the weather's nice—" I gestured my hand to the sky. "—so I can't complain."

"I didn't mean with the store, Sloane," he said softly, a knowing look in his eyes. "I meant with you. How's life outside of work and visiting your dear old dad?"

His question threw me for a loop, because if I was being honest with myself, my life had begun to revolve around him and work. Nothing else. And yes, it was by my own doing, but as the weeks passed, it had begun to feel normal for me. Which hadn't been my intention.

"Well," I started, racking my brain for something, though there wasn't much, "I've been reading a lot at night, and have tried some new dinner recipes that have turned out well."