Chapter 15

The next few days passed in a blur (of kisses) as Sloane became a regular fixture at dinner

The next few days passed in a blur (of kisses) as Sloane became a regular fixture at dinner. During the days when she was busy with the store, Bowen and I found ways to keep ourselves busy, and it was evident that summer was truly in full swing as the town began to come alive. Streets and vacation homes filled with tourists escaping the busy surrounding cities in search of a relaxing summer, and the event to officially kick off the season was the town's Fourth of July festival.

Being such a tightly knit community, Neptune Bay went all out—a parade, a cookout sponsored by local restaurants, a dunk tank, face painting, a dance. And of course, to top off the night, a spectacular display of fireworks at the beach. It was an event I always tried to be around for, and since leaving to pursue hockey, I'd only missed one year.

This year, I knew, was surely going to be different—seeing as I was responsible for leading a six-year-old around instead of helping out at Hollis' grill station outside The Watering Hole like I normally would—but I still woke up just as excited as every other year.

And so did Bowen.

He barely finished his cereal before the hyper energy within him burst and he began babbling enthusiastically about what he had planned for the day.

"I want to go swimming at the beach first, because after I get my face painted, I don't want it to get ruined by the water. But maybe we can still participate in the sandcastle competition after lunch, which will definitely be pizza. And maybe ice cream for dessert. Then there's the parade, where I'll hopefully get candy, and then be able to go get a hotdog for dinner. Then I promised to dance with Sloane before the fireworks."

I quirked an eyebrow as I sat across the table from him. "Is that all?" I mused.

He thought about it for a second, tapping his finger against his lips before he said, "I'm probably missing something, but I just want to do everything! They always have new activities and food to try."

"Then you better hurry up and get dressed, or else things may start happening without you."

Bowen was having none of that. He clambered out of his chair and hurried up the stairs, yelling at me to get ready as well. Not wanting to put a damper on his day, I quickly cleaned up, got ready, and was downstairs putting a leash on Scout when Bowen reappeared in the living room.

"We match!" he exclaimed; eyes bright as he pointed at the t-shirt I donned. An exact replica of his—white with an American flag on the back and blue lettering on the front that spelling out Fourth of July—which wasn't surprising, since I'd purchased them that way.

"We do," I agreed, "and Scout's even joining in."

I'd found a pile of old Fourth of July memorabilia in the shed, including an American flag bandana, which I'd handily tied around Scout's neck so he wasn't missing out on the festivities.

"Amazing," Bowen said, reaching to take the leash from me. "When is Sloane going to be meeting up with us?"

"I told you, buddy, she's got to work this morning and then has plans with some of her friends," I explained. While it was technically a holiday, Wilma's didn't completely close down. Sloane had given June the day off, going in herself to open, and would operate with a limited menu until around one, when she'd close down early and meet Mara and the rest of her friends for a relaxing afternoon at the beach. "She promised to find us around dinner time, but if she doesn't look busy, maybe we'll drop in and say hi once we finish swimming."