Chapter 8

Sisu noticed it. The strange thing going on between Raya and Namaari. It was good, but weird in a way. There was something more going on between them relationship wise. Of course, Sisu knew that they weren’t together yet. Cause if they were, first off, Namaari would get plenty of heat from being a lesbian. A concept that was weird to most people. And people usually oppose what is different. That was humanity. Sisu was pretty sure that Raya has a crush on Namaari ever since she started to hang out more with the girls And after seeing how Raya usually sticks with Namaari, even waiting for her in the locker room or vice versa. Sisu was pretty sure at this point.
“What’s up with you and Namaari?” Sisu asked, shrugging as Raya was in the changing room.

“W-What? Nothing, why?” Raya stuttered a bit. “Hmmm right,” Sisu said, unconvinced. “What’s with that tone?” Raya asked, confused. Sisu smirked, “Come on, there’s obviously something between you two. It’s been a few weeks, almost a month since you’ve come into this school, and you’re already stuck on her like glue... just be honest…! Do you like her?”
Raya locked eyes with Sisu, still seeming afraid of her intentions. For a long moment, there was silence, until Raya finally spoke up.
“You have no right to tell me that I like her, I-I can depict my own feelings.” She snapped.
However this didn’t make Sisu budge a bit, and to her surprise, she just responded calmly, “I never told you that you liked her. I’m just wondering and I’m curious. You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want you.” She said.
Raya felt bad after Sisu spoke, so she went quiet. “I’m sorry...for snapping at you.” She said after a moment. The girl rubbed her arm in resentment.
“Hey, it’s okay, I understand.” Sisu responded. “I won’t pry in anymore.” She said, a smile coming across her face. This only left Raya smiling back, a tad bit unsure. “Thank you.” She said, and Sisu responded with a nod as she grabbed her stuff and walked out of the locker room with Raya.

Raya sighed. It was getting obvious. People were onto her. She didn’t know what to do to be honest. She was scared. That if she came out as a lesbian, that she likes Namaari. It would all happen again. She would get shunned, bullied, pushed away. Namaari could even hate her now. She has spent months in torment in her previous school, now she is in a new environment, she is not going to screw that up again.

It took a while for Raya to sort out her feelings. She thought it was just her liking Namaari as a good friend. But as the days passed, she realized that it wasn’t that simple. She began to worry whenever Namaari didn’t answer her texts. Her thoughts about school usually drift back to the brunette. Raya too realized that she loves being near Namaari in school. At first she thought that it was just because Namaari always protected her, so she felt a sense of safety when she was with her. But soon, Raya too realized that she likes being close to Namaari. So much, that sometimes she even felt jealous when she saw Namaari being with her other friends such as Michelle. It was more than clear that Raya liked Namaari romantically.

+++

That day, Namaari and Michelle were let off later because of the extra practices for the upcoming competition. And they usually went home later than the others mainly because of Namaari trying to hide the truth and not get half-naked in front of the other girls. Now, it was just Namaari and Michelle, in the locker room.

“Gosh, it's so late,” Namaari grumbled as she placed her bag down.
“Tell me about it,” Michelle sighed. “I could’ve met Raya but… urgh…” Namaari mumbled. “And there you go about Raya again, huh?” Michelle smirked. “Why don’t you just tell her?” the blonde asked. “Tell her? And possibly get rejected then heartbroken?” Namaari asked, rolling her eyes. “Nope. Plus, it is just like what? A few weeks into the new school year, Raya is just new here, I want to give some time, and figure if she is even… you know what I mean,” Namaari sighed. "Yeah yeah..." Michelle answered as she pulled her top over. “You could ask her out,” the blonde suggested.
“Like a date?” Namaari asked, confused. “Did you hear me just now? I said-”
“I know what you said, but I meant like, hang out with her more outside school, may it be a date, or just a normal hangout as friends,” Michelle explained. “The only time you and Raya get to interact is in school-”
“We text after school too, you know?” Namaari asked dryly.