➳ two

➳ 

mary e. o'neil 

➳ 

It's four o'clock when Ashton decides to walk in the next day. I give him a smile as he does watching as he holds the door open for a whole group of teenagers. Honestly, if that were me, I might have closed the door on about five, but Ashton continues holding the door even for the kids who don't thank him.

Once the parade of teenagers are through the shop, Ashton walks in shoving his hands deep into the front pockets of his way too tight black skinny jeans. I hold back a giggle because the sight of a grown man in skinny jeans is too much to bear. It's like he thinks he's some rock star or something. He sure as hell acts like one, too. Then again, who am I to judge since I know absolutely nothing about this kid besides his name, age, and the fact he just moved here.

Ashton greets me at the counter with a smile and looks behind me at the menu. He must know I'd yell at him for loitering, again, if he doesn't order something. "I'll have a chicken salad sandwich and another iced coffee, please!" He gives me a big smile tapping his long fingers on the counter.

I laugh and type his order into the cash register. "Is that it?" He gives me a nod. "Okay, seven seventy five, please."

Ashton pulls a ten dollar bill out of his wallet and hands it to me. "Here you go, sweets."

I roll my eyes and hand him his change. "I told you my name. It's okay to use it."

He laughs his high pitched laugh and takes the change from my hand giving me a wink in return. "I know you did, but I also have the option to use it, which I'm not."

I sigh and shrug. "Suit yourself. I'll make sure someone spits in your drink." I smirk and turn to my coworker, Danny, and tell him to make the sandwich while I sort out the drink. I hand Ashton his cup when I finish and head back for the sandwich, which is made in a matter of seconds. When I call for his name, Ashton is right up at the counter. I hand him the sandwich politely, and he gives me a smile.

"Thanks, sweets."

I roll my eyes again. "Eat your food, kid."

Ashton pouts and furrows his brow. I have to admit, it's kind of cute how his face morphed into that of a little kid annoyed when he didn't get what he wanted. "Hey!" He whines. "I'm not a kid!"

I laugh and shrug. "But you're two years younger than me. Now, get going. I have work. If you're around for another hour, we can talk. Oh, and Ashton?"

He raises his brow at me. "Yeah, sweets?"

"Thanks for not coming in four minutes before closing."

He laughs and shakes his head. "No problem."

Ashton finishes his food quickly after I give it to him, but he sits in his same seat for a while just reading some book I can't see the title to. I spend a lot of time thinking about him and what his story was. Not to mention, why he's even here. I was almost positive he wasn't going to come back today, but here he is, surprising me like usual. I can't decide if I'm flattered or creeped out by his actions. For his sake and for my sanity, I agree it's flattering. However, I'm nowhere near interested in starting any form of relationship besides friends with him, if that's even what he's planning to do.

It's close to closing when Danny tells me he's packing up and leaving. Danny usually leaves before closing to let me do the closing up. I also can't decide if I'm annoyed or content with this. I'm annoyed because I don't like cleaning up after other people when part of it is their mess, but I'm also content because I enjoy being alone. That, and I also may be able to speak to Ashton without getting judged by my annoying coworker.