CHAPTER 39

"W-where are we?"

After being swallowed by the same spatial magic that took away the other magic knights, the lions found themselves enclosed by endless white surrounding runes circling around them.

"Can you sense the other magic knights?" Fuegoleon peers down at the red-haired girl who shakes her head.

"Not even a single one of them. Could they get moved to somewhere else?" She wasn't caring too much about the others, mostly Asta, Yuno and Leopold well-being, as she no longer can feel any of their presence.

Kana glance over the circling runes and tilt her head, frowning. 'They look fami—'

Before she can understand what's happening behind her, her eyes grow heavy, and the last thing she saw was her captain's disbelief expression.

"You're—"

And—

The smell of fresh grass.

-Back at the North District-

"You bastard! What have you done to them?!" Leopold heatedly grabs Rades's collar, pissed to have his brother and junior got stolen away right in front of him.

The rogue mage's smirking attitude and taunting him wasn't helping his anger at all; wildly, he solely laughs away right over the young lion's face.

"Leopold!" Noelle shouts while still holding injured Asta. "He's not the spatial magic-user." She recalls him. "That spell pinpointed him, so there's no way the spellcaster could've cast it from far away. Where could it be?"

Asta glance toward the piles of defeated corpses before closing his eyes and move away from the youngest Silva, taking her by surprises.

"Huh? Asta?"

Suddenly, he dashes over the pile on the left side and wields his anti-magic sword. "You're right there!"

One out of the flying corpses disappears through spatial magic, the same one that took away Fuegoleon and Kana.

"He was hiding among the corpses?!" Noelle spoke up, just surprise as Leopold is.

"I'm impressed you found me." A deep voice rang from on top of the building near Asta. "I figured I'd be found if I used magic to transform, so I went to the trouble of making this filthy disguise. What are you, an animal?" He takes off his disguise, unveiling his true face. "But it appears that it's over now."

"Over?" Asta repeats in confusion.

"What's over?" Leopold asks, eyes not leaving the wavy grey-haired mage.

Suddenly another portal widely open, and two bodies fall out of it.

There laid Fuegoleon with blood pouring out of his missing right arm. Eyes open, yet they look lifeless, just as his body wasn't moving at all.

Asta, Noelle and Leopold couldn't utter a word at sight in front of them; the water magic user finally let out a scream of fright, followed by the boys, who was shaken by the state of the captain of Crimson Lion.