Chapter Eleven - The Letter

Katherine

I soon learned that there are more frightful horrors in this world than wailing white ladies

Dear Miss Terwilliger,

May 25, 1825

I am writing to express my profound sorrow for any embarrassment or distress I might have caused you during our years together at Mrs. Lyttelton's. After much earnest soul-searching and painful reflection, I have come to realize that I was not nearly half as clever as I believed myself to be.

While there is a certain amount of vulgar amusement and social cachet among one's peers to be derived from leaving livestock in a bedchamber for an indeterminate amount of time, the cost in both personal belongings and dignity is far too high to be borne. (You really ought to be thankful I only left a pony! I can assure you that a goat has a much heftier appetite, especially for silk undergarments and any blossom or ribbon that might adorn one's favorite hat.)

I can also promise you that having the fingers of your gloves stitched together is not nearly so unpleasant as having the seams of your pantalettes tightened so that your first attempt to sit results in a noise so odious and mortifying it cannot be referred to in polite (or impolite) company.

As I struggle to emulate your unfailing composure, I am beginning to develop a new appreciation for the depths of your restraint. When I feel a scream of outrage bubbling up in my throat or when I find my fingers curling into the precise shape of a dainty little female throat, I think of you and grit my teeth into an indulgent smile. When I find myself testing the blade of my butter knife against my thumb with more attention than is duly necessary, I remember your forbearance and find the strength to carry on without slapping a single soul.

I like to think that you would be proud of the model of virtue and maturity that I have become. Please know that I will always be...

Ever your humble servant,

Katherine Oakleigh

P.S. Can you recommend something that will take raspberry currant stains out of boot leather?

****

Dear Aunt Mercy,

May 30, 1825

Although we are parted, I know you haven't forgotten that I've a birthday coming up this summer. I was rather hoping you might send me a new bonnet and some lovely unmentionables? (Oh, and a charming little pair of nankeen half-boots would not be looked upon with disdain.)

Your doting niece,

Katy

P.S. Give Uncle Felix and the twins my love, but please don't mention the unmentionables.