Time may tale

NARUTO

"Naru-nii!" Naruto yells excitedly. 'Ow,' Naru-nii yelps as Naruto continues to say, "that's gotta be the best technique EVER!"

'Wait... you mastered it?' Naru-nii asks with disbelief. 'You really mastered Rasengan?'

"Damn right I did," he excitedly claims. "I couldn't sleep—just had way too much energy, so with Kurama's chakra I made a ton of clones and we trained all night. I've been blowing holes in trees all morning! If I ever peg someone with this, they're history!"

'Great job! Hell, man, I think you learned it a lot faster than I did,' Naru-nii happily remarks. 'Though, I didn't know about the way my clones could help me train until years after I'd already learned it... which really bums me out, actually.'

"Yeah! I thought Kakashi-sensei might've told me all about Kage Bunshin, but it was Kurenai-chan that told me about the side effects. Actually, I need to talk to you about her." Naruto tells Naru-nii about the day before about how much more involved she'll be in his life as well as her offer to help him train.

'…I've always been told I was lucky, but I never believed it till now,' Naru-nii mumbles, and Naruto even hears a slight sniff.

"Naru-nii?" Naruto calls worrisomely.

'Right, you lucky fox,' Naru-nii states after clearing his throat and focusing on business. 'Mnn, from what I remember, Kurenai-sensei was always wicked smart,' Naru-nii recalls aloud. 'She's a genjutsu master, which is really hard to do. Team Eight have always been pretty strong, so I know she's a good sensei.'

"Pfft," Naruto's tongue out spits. "Who isn't a good sensei compared to Kakashi?"

'Trust me, I know how much it sucks that he's training Sasuke-'

"Damn right it does," Naruto protests. "AND he never told me about Kage Bunshin training!" Naruto interjects.

'Yes, yes, AND his not telling you about Kage Bunshin training,' Naru-nii humors his younger self. 'But even still, you're doing crazy good too, way better than me at that age. I know you want them to acknowledge your strength, but the most important reason for that strength is to protect your friends, your precious people and most importantly, the love of your life... Kurenai-sensei-'

"Traitor!" Naruto calls as he hears Naru-nii laughing his ass off. "You know Sakura-chan is always in my heart!"

'I know, I know, I'm only teasing,' he jests with a laugh. 'It's just... man, I can't believe it! Kurenai-sensei!'

"I'll forgive you this time," Naruto admonishes humorously. "And only because I completely get it. I love Sakura-chan, but Kurenai-chan… that's a woman!"

'That, and someone willing to help you get stronger,' Naru-nii states easing off the playful banter. 'She's someone we need to protect, so I'm going to make sure you're strong enough to protect everyone.'

"Yeah," Naruto agrees, his tone turning more serious. "It's the promise of a lifetime!"

'Damn right it is!' Naru-nii calls with just as much enthusiasm.

Naruto then asks, "so, what do you think about Kurenai-chan helping us? I really, reaaallly think she should… you know cuz she's smart and all."

Naru-nii laughs heartily. 'Yeah, I bet you do. Um, I don't think it's a bad idea, but I still think we should be careful. If she starts wondering how you know things you shouldn't, it might turn out bad for everyone and get in the way of training. You won't be able to help anyone if you're locked in an interrogation cell.'

"Meh, I bet it'll be fine," Naruto responds confidently. "So, what do I tell her when she asks how I learned Rasengan?"

Naru-nii is silent. '… Damn,' the future-Naruto curses. 'Uhh, I'm not sure if you can. It's not written down in any scrolls and the only two people alive that know it are Ero-sannin and Kakashi-sensei.'