The Line

NARUTO

"The name I was honored with is Kurama," the Kyuubi begrudgingly tells the little blond.

"I know," Naruto smiles his response.

"Yes," Kurama snarls. "It would seem you do," the large jailed beast snarls and grumbles, clearly not enjoying their interaction.

"So... how do we keep all that crap from happening?" Naruto bluntly asks. "I don't want to let that guy control us any more than I want him controlling you."

"No one controls me! I am the greatest of the nine Tailed Beasts," Kurama proudly informs the uncaring boy. "However, that fucking Uchiha with his wretched eyes is not to be underestimated. It is the only reason I will help you. So, remember boy, I hate you and all your kind!"

"Alright!" Naruto yells, ignoring the present jab for the future possibility of friendship. Naru-nii has never lied to him so if he says they become awesome partners than Naruto has faith that they will someday.

"Did you not hear what I said, filthy human?" Kurama exclaims. "I only wish to ensure my own survival. If your future counterpart is trapped within an inescapable seal, than my future self is also trapped and that is unacceptable!"

"I get it," Naruto proclaims jovially. "I get why you don't like us, and I can't say I blame you; always alone, thought of as a monster, or used like a tool. I mean, no one even bothered to learn your name! Naru-nii says your hate is your right, but I don't have to hate you and you're one of my teammates now. Maybe soon we can be real friends, so let's do our best!"

"Companionship with a human?" Kurama laughs. "That will never happen."

"I have it on good authority that it will," Naruto confidently jests with a wicked grin.

"It won't! I won't let it! Now leave!"

Naruto snickers at his ability to get under this powerful creature's skin before straightening his hands up in peace. "Alright alright, don't be mad, okay? I'll be good. How do you want to train?"

"...At the moment," Kurama growls irritably. "This seal allows for you to draw from my chakra however that trickle of strength will not be enough to defeat our enemies. You will have to become mentally more adept to handle my chakra."

"Naru-nii said that it'll always be hard until we both find peace. He said uniting against a common enemy is good, but we should try to understand each other so we can truly be strong and I think that sounds better."

'Learn what true strength is,' Kurama recalls his father saying, making the large beast falter. "I... I will always hate your kind."

"That sucks," Naruto pouts. "Well, I don't hate you and I'll definitely make sure all your brothers and sisters are okay!" Naruto extends his fist, just like Naru-nii told him, so Kurama can feel his honesty.

Kurama feels a drop in his malice for a proportionate rise in melancholy, silently contemplating his jailer's extended fist. After several moments, he lays his head on his front paws, clearing his throat before he mundanely replies, "...maybe. For the moment I'll freely give my chakra. The more you use, the better you'll be at handling it both mentally and physically. With your own growth, so too will my power steadily rise to my former glory, so you must continue to train for I will not accept subjugation."

Naruto simply smiles as he drops his fist and responds, "hmm, maybe with more chakra I can make more clones and learn jutsu faster. That's pretty sweet. I'll start today!"

Before Naruto leaves, Kurama starts, "...One other thing," then pauses for a long time. "...you did something some time ago. Something that was far more... contrary than the few moments I've sensed your pain."