Brubaker Brigde

According to legend, in the 1930s there was a horrible one-car accident near Brubaker Bridge, which crosses Sams Run Creek in Butler County. Having occurred in such a rural area, there were no witnesses to the crash and the victims were not discovered until later that night by a neighboring farmer.

The farmer immediately summoned help and a total of 12 bodies were recovered. The bodies were all brought to a local funeral parlor, where they were all identified and eventually given proper burials by their respective families. After such a horrible and tragic accident, the town was eager to try and put the incident behind them.

However, shortly after the accident, the farmer who originally discovered the bodies claimed that while crossing Brubaker Bridge one night, his car suddenly dies. Further, he stated that he then heard 13 distinct knocks on his car, followed by a strange hissing noise.

Stories are heard even today of motorists' car suddenly stalling as they cross Brubaker Bridge, followed by someone or something knocking 13 times on the car. And then, right before the car starts up again, a hissing noise is heard. It is said that the noises are caused by the 13th victim of the 1930s crash—a victim whose body was never recovered. Apparently, his spirit is attempting to coerce a someone into finding his body and give it a proper burial. According to legend, this spirit is forced to beat on cars with stumps that were once his arms... the rest having been devoured by animals. In like fashion, the spirit can only make hissing noises since his tongue has rotted away.