2

A sea of hastily assembled demigods parted for Annabeth, Leo, Piper, Jason and Alex as they walked through the forum. Some looked tense, some nervous. Some were bandaged from their recent battle with the giants, but no one was armed. No one attacked.

Entire families had gathered to see the newcomers. Alex saw couples with babies, toddlers clinging to their parents' legs, even some elderly folks in a combination of Roman robes and modern clothes. Were all of them demigods? Alex suspected so, though she'd never seen a place like this. At Camp Half-Blood, most demigods were teens. If they survived long enough to graduate from high school, they either stayed on as counselors or left to start lives as best they could in the mortal world. Here, it was an entire multigenerational community.

At the far end of the crowd, Alex spotted Tyson the Cyclops and Percy's hellhound, Mrs. O'Leary—who had been the first scouting party from Camp Half-Blood to reach Camp Jupiter. Alex had to admit she had been scared out of her mind when she met the hell hound. Tyson waved and grinned. He was wearing an SPQR banner like a giant bib. Alex felt he was an awesome brother to have.

In front of her, the demigods made way for a girl in full Roman armor and a purple cape. Dark hair tumbled across her shoulders. Her eyes were as black as obsidian, and Alex almost tripped when she saw her.

Reyna.

Jason had described her well. Even without that, Alex would have singled her out as the leader. Medals decorated her armour. She carried herself with such confidence the other demigods backed away and averted their gaze. 

Alex couldn't help but notice the similarities between Reyna and Annabeth, not look wise though. Their demeanours were similar and Alex wondered if Annabeth had noticed it too.

The two girls considered each other. Annabeth's friends fanned out on either side. The Romans murmured Jason's name, staring at him in awe and Alex nudged him playfully. 

Then someone else appeared and this time Alex did trip and fall. But Jason and Leo were quick to catch her. She grew red in her face and muttered a thanks to her friends. By the time she looked at Percy again, he was staring at her too with a slight smile. 

"Jason Grace, my former colleague..." Reyna straightened. She spoke the word colleague like it was a dangerous thing. "I welcome you home. And these, your friends—"

But before she could complete, Annabeth surged forward, Percy rushed toward her at the same time. The crowd tensed. Some reached for swords that weren't there and Alex watched with a smirk.

Percy threw his arms around her and they kissed, Alex turned to Leo to make fun of her brother and Annabeth but Leo was already looking at her longingly. She quickly turned to Reyna. 

"Hey" She greeted awkwardly, and explained pointing to the kissing couple "They're dating"

Percy pulled away and studied Annabeth's face. "Gods, I never thought-"

Annabeth grabbed his wrist and flipped him over her shoulder. He slammed into the stone pavement. Romans cried out. Some surged forward, but Reyna shouted, "Hold! Stand down!"

Alex almost doubled over with laughter. Annabeth put her knee on Percy's chest. She pushed her forearm against his throat.