27

Alex wished she had gone with Leo, Hazel and Frank because she was stuck on the ship listening to Coach Hedge sing "Old MacDonald" (with weapons instead of animals). Soon Piper and Jason decided to have a picnic in the park and even though Alex realised they wanted alone time, she wasn't staying alone with Coach Hedge. 

They spread their blanket under a willow tree next to a pond. Piper turned over her cornucopia and spilled out an entire meal-neatly wrapped sandwiches, canned drinks, fresh fruit, and (for some reason) a birthday cake with purple icing and candles already lit.

She frowned. "Is it someone's birthday?"

Jason winced. "I wasn't going to say anything."

"Grace!" Alex slapped his arm. 

"There's too much going on," he said. "And honestly... before last month, I didn't even know when my birthday was. Thalia told me the last time she was at camp."

"July First," Piper said. "The Kalends of July."

"Yeah." Jason smirked. "The Romans would find that auspicious-the first day of the month named for Julius Caesar. Juno's sacred day. Yippee."

"Cut the cake Grace.. and you bet I'm singing Happy Birthday" Alex handed him a knife which Jason reluctantly took. 

"Sixteen?" Piper gave him a smile.

He nodded. "Oh, boy. I can get my driver's license."

The girls laughed. Jason had killed so many monsters and saved the world so many times that the idea of him sweating a driving test seemed ridiculous. Alex pictured him behind the wheel of some old Lincoln with a STUDENT DRIVER sign on top and a grumpy teacher in the passenger seat with an emergency brake pedal.

"Well?" she urged. "Blow out the candles."

Jason did while Alex sung Happy Birthday out of key as loudly as she could, but Jason retaliated for the embarressment by covering her left cheek with the purple icing. When the two finally calmed down, Jason took a deep breath. 

"I've been thinking."

Piper tensed, Alex always knew Jason had a way with words. 

"About?" Piper asked.

"Camp Jupiter," he said. "All the years I trained there. We were always pushing teamwork, working as a unit. I thought I understood what that meant. But honestly? I was always the leader. Even when I was younger-"

"The son of Jupiter," Piper said. "Most powerful kid in the legion. You were the star."

Jason looked uncomfortable, but he didn't deny it. "Being in this crew of seven... I'm not sure what to do. I'm not used to being one of so many, well, equals. I feel like I'm failing."

"Listen lightning boy, we all have different powers and in a way they all complement each other. I mean, who else do you know that can fly?" Alex took a bite out of her piece of cake

Piper took his hand. "And you're not failing."

"It sure felt that way when Chrysaor attacked," Jason said. "I've spent most of this trip knocked out and helpless."

"Come on," Piper chided. "Being a hero doesn't mean you're invincible. It just means that you're brave enough to stand up and do what's needed."

Alex whistled. 

"And if I don't know what's needed?" Jason looked at his girlfriend. 

"That's what your friends are for. Like Alex said- we've all got different strengths. Together, we'll figure it out."