Atone.

Chapter 43:  Atone.

I didn't know who screamed – whether it was me or Gwen or even Kohen himself.

The splash of his body broke my reverie.  My attention shot back to Vanya as she let out a peeling laugh. She vanished into the darkness, lost amongst the smoke and the orange glow of fire. 

An invitation to chase her through the dark streets.  Another trap? 

I turned away from her, casting off my belt and dove into the water after Kohen. The cold water hit like a swift punch to the gut. It washed over my head and salt-water surged up my nose.  Kohen had not sunk far and I grasped at him, feeling him weakly struggle to rise up through the water.

I slung an arm around his middle, kicking hard to rise again. Our heads broke the surface of the water and Kohen whistled out a bloody breath.

The water rocked us back and forth. I eased Kohen's head back so that it rested on my shoulder. "I said once before, if I have to jump into water after you and I drown, I will haunt you."

He loosed a wheezing laugh.

"You would be good company."

"If you die, then I die."

"Not fair." Blood ebbed from his chin.

"Then you stay alive."

Each breath was rough and pained. I clutched him to me, legs pumping to keep us both, our armour and weapons from being dragged down. The taste of salt-water was rotten on my tongue, tingling at the back of my throat.

Gwen leaned over the edge of the boardwalk and slowly, she and Taelan eased Kohen back up onto the walkway. Then Gwen held out a hand to me and with one-arm, she hauled me up. Soggy body and weapons and all. I spluttered salt water out, feeling it burn my nose as I pulled myself over to Kohen.

"Where is Matthaeus?"

"Gone after that..." Gwen broke off with a snarl. "I hope he tears out her throat."

Taelan glanced away, his throat bobbing. "He will be fine."

I knelt beside Kohen, my finger-tips tracing the edge of his jaw. This was bad. I couldn't pull the arrow out without tearing open his insides. Kohen's golden eyes were glazed with pain. "Don't waste tears on me."

I probed around the arrow shaft, trying to stop my breathing from pinching in panic. "You are going to be fine."

Kohen smiled softly. Sadly. "You don't believe that any-more than I do."

All battle-rage fled as I shakily took off my helm, letting him see my face unhindered. Softly, he touched my shoulder and gave me a gentle squeeze. Blood stained his teeth, leaking out from the corners of his mouth. The one in the shoulder was less dangerous, but knowing Vanya, it would be slick with rotten poison.

He had taken the one in his side for me. For me.

"We protect the people we love. Whatever it takes." He croaked, his smile soft and gentle. Warm blood ebbed over my fingers, a sob catching in my throat. Behind me, Gwen loosed a keening cry. Little Cat.

"And how am I supposed to protect you?" I touched his face.

Lashes fluttered against his cheekbones, his tail going still on the blood-stained wood. "I don't want people to remember my people like they do now. We're good."

Taelan knelt beside us swiftly, tearing off his gloves. His hands, long and slender, hovered over Kohen. Magic ebbed out, gentle and searching. The High-Elf simply looked to me and his expression told me all.