The Change.

Chapter 24 : The Change.

When I gathered myself, I swore Mahon to secrecy.

If a whisper of this passed beyond this corridor, I would come for him. He looked vaguely unimpressed with that. After that, I faced meetings with the Aldwynn's Elves with a stony visage, determined not to be rail-roaded into hiding.

Seeker Birchwood would not hide. I would not give Vanya that satisfaction. Instead, I threw myself into helping them rebuilt and repair Aldwynn, preparing funeral rites and collapsing into bed every evening,exhausted. Kohen and I passed each other silently and the sight of him reminded me keenly of that moment in the Sanctum.

That bear helm falling.

'Hello Avi.'

That afternoon, I worked alongside the kitchen Elves, chopping vegetables for the dinner's stew.  Around me, they chatted rapidly in Elvish and moved around each other with a short word, used to the way they moved around each other. I spoke little, content to enjoy the familiar atmosphere of Elvish and the humor I didn't realize I missed. I told myself  as I chopped carrots that I would talk to him tonight. Tonight. I would ask for an explanation. I would listen and from there – I would think.

He came to me only half an hour later. 

"Aviana." He said my name softly. Shyly.

The other Elves in the kitchen startled, turning their attention to the Zentin standing in the door. His attention as fixed on me, ears slicked back and hands knotted loosely together. His tail was wrapped tight around his leg.

"Kohen." I set down the knife levelly. 

Somehow the others knew. One, named Esslaian, who ran the kitchen with ruthless efficiency and chopped and prepared faster than the rest of them despite being born with only one hand, nudged me towards the door. In Elvish, he said ' Go speak to your friend.'

So, I did. Kohen slipped back out into the hall and I closed the kitchen door behind me. I began walking, restless and suddenly upset.

"You really upset me, Kohen."

"I know. I'm sorry I upset you." Kohen peeked at me, trying to hide the forlornness in his expression.

"Tell me why then?" We cut down through a great cavernous hall. Saviors had made it this far into the Keep and the red-stone walls were marked with fire and splattered blood. 

As a group of Elves headed down the hall, hands resting delicately on thier blades, we stepped into the garden.  Sunlight danced across the great steaming pools enclosed in a garden of strange, sharp-leaved trees. Kohen kept silent until we passed the pools and crossed to where colorful flowers bloomed under the gentle care of the gardeners and the crops were neatly tended, tucked amongst the beauty. Enough to keep them from going hungry, but never enough to gorge. Gorging – overindulgence had never been the way of the Keep Elves.

"I thought – perhaps that I could get to her before she got to you. I could have saved you so much pain and suffering. She would be dead and her body thrown among the corpses and you would get to continue loving her as you remembered her." He said softly. 

I tucked my hands behind my back, my throat tight. "But I would have been remembering a lie, Kohen. I would have just been a stupid fool who never knew how or why Dratlan became so overwhelmed. Were we not enough? Could I have done something more? But it was never my fault. It was hers. Somehow - I think that might help me heal."