Chapter 3

Just as she was about to knock on the door, it opened and emerged a smiling Asad.

"Aap aise jokeron ki tarah kyun muskura rahe hain?", Zoya scrunched her brows.

"Aap yahan kya kar rahi hain?", asked Asad.

"Wo phupi ne kaha ke main aapko bata doon that Najma and Phupi are shifting over to our house until Haider's Nikaah. Aap aana chahe to aa sakti hain! Invitation meri taraf se nahi hai but shayad Haider ko achha lage.", she said.

"Pakka? Aap nahi chahti ke main aaun?", he asked.

"Mere chahne na chahne se kuch nahi hota. Maine apni life mein bohot kuch chaha jo mujhe nahi mila. Abhi baat Haider ki ho rahi hai.", she replied and walked away.

"Zoya!", he called her.

"Kya hai?", she asked without turning to look at him.

"I'm sorry.", he said.

"Too late Mr. Khan.", she whispered.

"Zoya please...", before he could say anything further, Zoya ran upstairs to Najma's room.

"Asad! You are the one who screwed it up and you are the one who needs to make it alright.", he scolded himself out loud.

--

That night, Dilshad and Najma settled down in the guest room at Zoya's house and were about to go to bed when Zoya walked in.

"Phupi.. Aap comfortable to hain?", asked Zoya.

"Zoya.. mere saath formality nibhani ki zaroorat nahi hai bache.. main bilkul theek hoon.", smiled Dilshad.

"Aap meri ammi jaisi hain to aapka khayal rakhna meri responsibility hain. Main roz raat ammi ke kamre mein jaakar bhi poocchti hoon. Aadat hai meri.", giggled Zoya.

"Tumhare Abbu ke jaane ke baad, Zainab has done an impeccable job as a single mother.", Dilshad smiled.

"Phupi, aapne bhi to as a single mother aapke dono baccho ko itna kaabil banaya hai. Par unfortunately jo aapka bada bacha hai, uska dimaag time ke saath saath thoda rust hogaya hai!", laughed Zoya making Dilshad laugh along and Najma giggled.

Asad walked into the rooms seeing the 3 very precious ladies of his life laugh along.

"Ammi.. aapne apni dawaai kha li?", asked Asad.

"Haan Asad. Tum office se aa rahe ho? Iss waqt?", scolded Dilshad.

"Phupi main apne room mein jaa rahi hoon. Kal subah milte hain. Good night.", smiled Zoya and scurried away to her room.

Asad watched her till she left the room and got lost in his thoughts.

"Asad! Tum jaakar use keh kyun nahi dete ke tum usse pyar karte ho?", asked his mother who was still angry at him for being such a workaholic.

He smiled and walked to him mom and sat on the ground next to the bed and kept his head on her lap. Najma smiled and covered herself and drifted off to slumber. Asad noticed the same and laughed.

"Kitna soti hai Tamatar!", he commented letting out a laugh making Dilshad giggle.

"Mere sawaal ka jawaab nahi diya tumne Asad!", she commented running her fingers through his hair.

"Bata dunga Ammi.. Shayad aaj ya shayad kuch dino mein.. But I promise you, ke Haider ke Nikaah ke din, aap hum dono ko saath dekhengi.", he smiled.

"Itna confidence? Ya overconfidence?", asked Dilshad.

"Ammi.. Aapko apne bete par bharosa nahi hai?", asked Asad looking up at his mother.

"Baat bharose ki nahi hai.. Baat ye hai ke main Zoya ko bhi bohot achhi tarah jaanti hoon.", smirked Dilshad.

"To aapko lagta hai ke wo nahi maanegi?", he raised his brows.

"Nahi.. maine aisa to nahi kaha..", chuckled Dilshad.

"Kya Ammi.. Aap so jao.. Main Haider ke room mein use milne ja raha hoon phir doosre guest room chala jaunga jahan mera samaan hai.", said Asad as he got up from the ground and covered his Ammi with the duvet and tucked her in.

"Good Night Ammi..", he wished.

"Good Night Mr. Khan!", laughed Dilshad as she closed her eyes.

He shook his head in disbelief, switched off the lights, and walked out of the room only to hear muffled laughter from somewhere. He followed the sound and found himself outside Zoya's bedroom. He had fond memories of this room when they were in school and had the sudden urge to barge open and see how it looked like after so many years. Moreover, he wanted to know what was Zoya laughing at or.. maybe laughing with?

----