Chapter 7

Asad grinned and walked to his room with a plan churning in his mind for tonight's sangeet.

"I know ab mujhe kya karna hai!", he spoke to himself as he entered his room.

At around 6 o' clock, Asad got ready in his black tuxedo with an indigo pocket square matching Zoya's saree blouse and walked out of his room. He saw Shravan and Sumo sitting in the courtyard talking to each other and smiled.

"Phupi!", he heard Zoya call.

He quickly went over and knocked on the door.

"Aa jayiye.", came her response.

He walked in to the most beautiful sight he had ever seen. Zoya in the pink saree and the indigo blouse. Her bare back was facing him and she was looking at the mirror applying kohl in her eyes.

Asad cleared his throat to announce his presence in her room.

"Asad? Tum yahan kya kar rahe ho?"", she turned in haste and was about to trip on her saree. Asad leaped over and caught her by her waist, breaking her fall.

"Bohot khoobsurat lag rahi ho.", he whispered.

"Thank you!", she whispered as a faint blush rose on her cheek.

He gently let her stand and moved away.

"Tum yahan?", she asked again.

"Wo, main.. tumne Ammi ko bulaya tha. Wo actually, tumhari aur meri Ammi, dono hi neeche hain Haider ke saath. To maine socha, pooch loon agar tumhe koi help chahiye ho to?"

"Wo mujhe saree ka pallu pin karna tha. Isliye.. Par it's okay, main Sumo ko bula lungi.", she replied.

"Main laga doon?", he asked, hoping she would say yes.

"Par..", she uttered but stopped looking into his eyes.

"Zo, stop fighting the fact that you still love him. You still have those feelings alive in you. Tum jitna marzi khud se keh lo that you've buried your feelings... you actually haven't. He loves you very much. I can see it.", she heard Shravan's voice in her head.

She nodded and turned around. He gulped nervously and picked up the safety pin from the dressing table and let out a breath to calm himself down.

She helped him place the pallu in the correct place. His fingers slightly brushed her bare skin making her shiver. She was breathing heavy due to the proximity. He neatly pinned it but continued to stand close to her and placed his hands on her waist. She closed her eyes as soon as she felt his hands on her bare waist. He placed a light kiss on her shoulder making her gasp.

"Zo!", came a shout from outside.

"Koi aa jayega. Humein neeche jaana chahiye.", she muttered and turned to walk out of the room.

"Zoya! Ruko, please.", he requested.

She stopped in her tracks but did not turn around to look at him.

"I really do love you Zoya. Please believe me. Main.. I really can't stand this distance between us anymore. You have ignored me for 8 years and I completely understand why you did so. You were hurt and you had to protect yourself. But I promise I will never hurt you again. Please give us a chance.", he said.

She closed her eyes and sighed.

"Let's go downstairs. We're getting late. Sangeet kisi bhi waqt shuru ho jayega.", she replied, changing the topic yet again.

--

The couples were dancing and Asad and Zoya stood in separate corners eyeing each other.

"Sumo, tum Asad ko bulao dance ke liye, main Zo ko leke aata hoon and we do the partners exchange. Isi bahane Asad and Zoya would dance together!", whispered Shravan.