The Nightmares of Hermione Granger Pt.2

Night 3

Hermione hoped that Harry couldn't tell that she was exhausted from the night before. She hadn't been able to have a good night's rest in ages, but this exhaustion was far too difficult for Hermione to handle. Being constantly forced to look happy all weekend long had tired her out, and not being able to sleep made it immensely harder.

Though Hermione was eternally thankful for Harry's gratitude, she didn't think that she could keep this act up much longer. One of those nightmares was bound to cause Hermione to wake up screaming in fear.

One more night, Hermione thought to herself, One more night and I wouldn't have to act anymore.

Maybe, just maybe this will be one of the dreamless nights.

As she tried re-reading the page of her book for the twelfth time in a row, Hermione could see Harry's emerald green eyes pop up from behind the book. "Hello, Harry," She said with a weak smile.

Hermione set the book down and looked up at the boy, who peered at her with worry. "Have you been sleeping well, Hermione? You look... more tired than usual."

Of course Harry noticed. How could he not? "I'm fine," Hermione replied, unable to look in Harry's eyes any longer.

"Hm," Harry said as he crossed his arms, continuing to examine Hermione. She could feel his green eyes piercing through her, causing Hermione to grow warm. "The bags in your eyes say otherwise. Is the bed too uncomfortable? I could switch out the covers if you like."

Hermione shook her head as she lowered her gaze. "No thanks, Harry. The bed is fine," Hermione reassured. Harry narrowed his eyes with suspicion. "I promise, I'm alright. You don't need to worry so much."

Hermione gave Harry a look, and he dropped it. "Alright, fine. I just... want you to be comfortable here."

Hermione glanced up at him again, her lips tugging into a grateful, genuine smile. "I am, Harry," She then laughed to herself, " I think you've done everything humanly possible to make me feel comfortable here."

Harry smiled in relief. "Good." He sighed satisfactorily and checked the time. "Speaking of sleep, I think I'm going to go to bed now." Harry looked back at her and smiled once more.

"Goodnight, Hermione," He said.

"Goodnight," She replied.

Then, Harry walked up the stairs, headed for his bedroom. Hermione would have followed in suit, but because of the dreams she's had, Hermione did not want to fall asleep.

Still, she didn't want Harry or Kreacher to realize that she was still awake. So, after wrapping up the chapter in the book she was reading, Hermione stood up and went into her room, sitting on the bed, forcing herself to stay awake once more.

◆◆◆

Hermione sat on the floor in the remnants of the Great Hall with her legs tucked to her chest, tears streaming down her face as she looked at all the people she had lost in battle. Lupin and Tonks lay down next to each other in the rubble peacefully, and Fred in the corner along with the Weasleys- who were all grieving his death. Lavender Brown as well, who was killed by the infamous Fenrir Greyback. All of them shared multiple things in common; They were pale. Unbreathing. Still like stone. Unable to move. And most of all, they were dead.

Hermione's heart felt as if it had been wrenched out of her chest as she sobbed quietly into her arms. All these good people- dead, because of a dangerous, feared, vicious monster who sought to tear the wizarding world apart. They sacrificed their lives to stop him, to save their home, and yet the heartless beast still lived.