Chapter Nine

Harry

Harry had finished setting up the room Hermione would be staying in. He didn't expect her to call him so late, but he was up anyway and had been able to answer the phone. She sounded quite shaken as she spoke, then... surprised when Harry had agreed to let her sleep over at his house. He was a little bit confused, he and Hermione always slept over at Ron's house... when they were kids.

Before alcohol. Before the abuse.

Though Harry had finally gotten his long awaited confrontation with Ron, he felt horrible right after. He had hit him. He had hit Ron. He was no better than he was. Harry had broken Hermione's specific instructions not to approach him or inform him about what Hermione told Harry earlier. Further, he had abused his best friend of nine years and told him to never talk to him, ever again.

Harry had felt terrible. He couldn't sleep. He was wide awake, his mind running through his argument with Ron over and over again. Just like that, was his and Ron's friendship over? The words that he said to him, the things that he did, was that able to ruin nine years of friendship?

It might have, and Harry felt sick thinking about it.

Furthermore, he had broken a promise to Hermione. He had uttered those words, 'I promise,' in front of her face, knowing that he would break it. He was a liar. A liar, and a terrible friend.

Suddenly, Harry heard a voice call out his name. "Hello? Harry? Are you there?"

It was Hermione.

Harry took a breath. When this is all over, once Hermione had gotten over the aftermath of her break up, he would tell the truth. There was too much going on in her life right now, and Hermione really needed to catch a break. For now, he promised himself he would not break any more promises, and be the best friend that Hermione needed.

"Yeah," He called from upstairs, "I'll be right with you in a second," He fluffed the pillows one last time and went out of the guest room. He saw Hermione, still in her pajamas (which he thought was a smart call), with a little blue suitcase trailing behind her.

"Hi," Harry smiled, "Guest room is ready if you want to put your stuff away."

Hermione nodded as Harry came down the stairs. "I'm so sorry that I called you so late. It's just that... the flat brought so many bad memories."

Harry took the last step and stood in front of her, giving Hermione a reassuring grin. "No need to apologize, Hermione. Honestly I'm okay with you staying here for a while. If it's going to help you with... you know, I'll be glad to help."

Hermione shifted uncomfortably, her eyes unsure. "Think of it like... a mature, grown-up sleepover," Harry said, trying to cheer up Hermione, "We've had loads of sleepovers before."

That had caused Hermione to smile, just a bit, which made Harry glad. "Alright," She said as her irises bore into Harry's green eyes.

Harry blinked, nodded and said, "Here, I'll show you your room."

So he did. Harry took Hermione's suitcase and carried it upstairs, Hermione not too far behind. He led her to the first room right down the hall, a few steps next to the staircase. He opened the door, gesturing with his hand for Hermione to enter the room.

He tried to make the room as cozy as possible, with warm blankets, fluffy pillows and soft sheets. During his 'renovation' last year, Harry had taken the opportunity to switch out the dark colors of his house into calmer tones, such as browns, blues, greys, whites, and deep reds. The curtains were no longer a scary night blue, rather it was a nice patterned beige. Harry had also added a white carpet beneath the four poster bed, where the sheets were all white.

Hermione looked at all of this, her eyes softening at the sight. "I remember helping you with this room," She said, turning her gaze to Harry with a wistful grin, "I helped you paint."

Harry laughed, "Yeah. We were a mess. I couldn't get the paint off my hair for a week."

Hermione laughed with him as she sat on the bed. She then sighed tiredly. Slowly, her eyes began to droop. She looked exhausted. "Well... I suppose you're getting tired," Harry said as he let go of the handle of her suitcase, "I'll let you get some sleep. Goodnight."

Hermione smiled, "Goodnight."

-----------------------------------------------

A/N:

So to all you re-readers, I hope you noticed that Harry actually regrets his decision that he punched Ron. In the original, he never felt any remorse, which I found kind of stupid of me to write. I mean, he's been best friends with Ron and he doesn't regret that he punched him, or that he possibly just ruined their friendship? Come on, past me, that makes no sense.

So yeah. That's another change I made. Hope you like! Remember to vote, comment, and fan! Remember that all of you guys are lovely people.

See you next time, loves!

-Em