Counting 1

Actually, that house in the suburb isn't mine.

It was of my grandpa's on my dad's side; he bought it with the intention to stay there in the final years of his life. He wanted to have a little house surrounded by a peaceful environment and its decoration resembling the cottages by the river like those of the Westerners'. He lived there for only a short period of time before he passed away and the place was abandoned shortly after his passing. When I decided to quit my job and start my writing career, I asked my family if I could occupy that house from time to time as I was seeking a quiet place to concentrate and some moral support from nature.

Usually, I'm not a choosy person when it comes to work location. I have no trouble working at my condominium, just that, sometimes, I need a little change in the atmosphere. So, whenever I want to isolate myself, I'll just hop in my car and there I'll go.

Like this time, I had been there for a week already, trying to begin crafting the manuscript for my first boy's love story so I could get it done by the deadline given by the editor. And look what happened. I haven't even started any single word just yet but I had to pack up and leave the house already since I heard about that casting from Hin the other day. And I have a feeling that I won't go back there soon.

Meanwhile, as I'm longing for the tranquility of that place, I look out blankly through the windshield and take in the reality around me. It's so chaotic here in the metropolis. All I can see right now is the back of vehicles, and all I do is sigh with tiresome at such traffic jam.

And the green light is on for less than 20 seconds, I guess.

♫~

My mobile on the dashboard rings so out of the blue that I jump. I reach for it and see Hin's name on the screen.

"Why the hell are you calling me so many ti—"

[Bro, where are you?!]

I haven't even finished my sentence, he just cuts me off by shouting back and I have to put the phone away from my ear. I frown. "The hell are you shouting for? I'm almost there already; I'm already at the junction near the building."

[Ugh, bruh, you've been there for like half an hour. When are you gonna show up?]

"What else do you expect me to do, huh? Come see the traffic yourself. When it goes green, only four or five cars could cross the junction, and it goes fucking red again. I've been waiting for my turn for like three rounds already."

[Can you just walk here?]

"Are you fucking deaf? I said I'm hella stuck in the traffic. Or do you think I can just hit the turn signal and park anywhere on the street?"

[Aww, man...] He grumbles again. [We're about to finish the casting for the 'bottom' role, already.]

"I've told you earlier, too, that there's completely no need to wait for me. I don't mind about the casts, just leave it to the director and producers. Perhaps, their taste and standard are much better than mine." I speak with an unpleasant tone. I turn on Bluetooth and put on my wireless earphones as the cars start moving again. "Anyways, whatever, I'll be there in five. Just got out of that junction, about to turn to the building."

[Okay, okay. Just tell the security guard who you are. I told him to save a parking lot for you already.]

"'Kay. Thanks."

[I guess they'll get it all done by the time you got here. But you still got 15 minutes before they start casting for the 'top' role. Maybe you can join us that time. I've told them that you're gonna be late.]

"Uh-huh."

[Okay. See ya. I'll be waiting at the elevator.] And then he hangs up.

See, I didn't mean to be irresponsible or not to come here on time. But, being busy with my manuscript and all, I told Hin that I'll join him only when I'm free. Plus, to be honest, I'm still embarrassed. I don't feel like revealing myself to the others, letting them know that I'm the male writer who writes m/m romance. I need some more time to get used to this.