CHAPTER 6 : First Step

That night I couldn't really sleep. All the things were just revolving in my head. I got up, turned on the lights and walked to and fro on the floor.

I was also desperate about the Final reports. It feels really heavy to carry a burden and not be able to share it with anyone. In my case, Jordan was the only one who knew what's going on.

How did we get this far ? We never talked before and all of a sudden we are solving murder mysteries now? Why is helping me? What because some random girl ( me) thought, he is the suspect and he's all in to clear my doubts?

While I was figuring things out about Jordan, I heard the noise of my glass window cracking. I saw someone's hands coming up trying to unlock the window hook.

What the hell ?!

I grabbed my baseball bat, and waited for whoever it was trying to sneak into my room at the middle of the night.

I was terrified inside. Sweat dropping off my neck. But I knew I was ready to hit him. I held the bat more stronger.

And to my amaze, it was Jordan. I still didn't move though. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I wanted to see what he's up-to.

He finally climbed up. He looked proud of what he did as he looked down through the window, measuring the feets he had climbed up. Still didn't see me with my baseball bat, ready for him. I was still standing there in the same posture.

He turned around...

We looked at each other for a while in astonishment.

*** awkward silence ***

" Uhh come-on Parker. Drop it off. I'm not some psycho killer. " Jordan said rolling his eyes in boredom.

He wasn't exactly surprised at my act, which made me surprised actually. I mean, what kinda person does all these things with such confidence ?

He walked very casually towards me, snatching the bat from me, he went straight on my bed and laid down, with his legs crossed, as if it was his own room to rest.

" How often do you pull these stunts ?" , I asked , making a shocked face.

He kept playing with my bat, showing off his baseball skills by making shots in air. " Very often. Almost daily. I mean. I'm the high school stud, remember? ". He kept smiling in pride and in a way to tease me.

I snatched back the bat from him

I snatched back the bat from him. I got really worried and angry at the same time. " This is my house not school. You can't be in here. Not at this hour. "

" OK

" OK. Calm down. Sit. Don't get mad. I got clues and these are important. "

" What ?"

" At least sit and I'll explain ", Jordan tried to calm me down.

I sat. He handed me the autopsy reports of my aunt.

" I could have given you these at school, but thought, may be you would want to know as soon as possible. ", Jordan said.

"How did you get these? These were suppose to come tomorrow? "

"The guy called. He said the work was done so I collected them. Now are you Gonna open It or I'll read them myself. "

I opened it in pace. Honestly, I was so worried to open it. I was hoping for good news. I was hoping that may be she wasn't killed by the same killer or it wasn't a murder. I was hoping that she had her peace. But I also knew it in my nerves, that what I'm expecting isn't possible, now that I have seen her dead body myself with all those bruises and marks. And this feeling, striking me through and through, repeating what Mr. Stuart said that ' this is just the beginning'.

But I had to be sure anyhow.

... And I opened it.

" Reports : As per the samples, the deceased person has been intaking drugs for 2 months and more. Drug intake : Positive", I read out the report loud.

 Drug intake : Positive", I read out the report loud

I became quite for a moment.

The funny faces that I saw 2 minutes back, which made me feel a little annoyed as well as gave me hope was faded too.

But Jordan pulled himself up .
He pulled my hand holding the report sheet and held in firmly. " Hey we will get to the bottom of this . I'll be there for you."

Now that we have the reports, I think we have taken our first Step towards the mystery. How it's gonna be ? I imagined this journey alone but having Jordan now feels comforting. In order to face the darkness, I should have someone having my back. I want to trust him.