Chapter 9

I softly tapped my stylus on the table while I checked on the design I have been working on for the last hour. It was a dress for Alyssa.

I did a few more changes and when I was satisfied with the colors, I hit the save button and moved on to tidying my desk so I could head home. 

The time on my PC shows 6:05 so I let out a sigh of relief. I normally go home at 5 pm but since I didn't want to encounter anyone, mostly them, when I go out of my office, I stayed until I was sure everyone would have left the office already.

It's been 4 days since I came face to face with Luke and every time I look back to that day, I just try to shake it out of my head because it was not how I hoped our first meeting would have gone. 

After I assured both Mel and Louis I was okay, we all seated on the table with me unable to meet their gaze. I knew it was all too informal of them to make a fuzz about my little incident in front of investors but formal meetings were not a thing here in Maude so I was obviously the only one that was embarrassed by it. I cleared my throat just as Bella started the meeting, I opened my folder while making a silent vow not to call any attention to myself anymore. 

But that was all wishful thinking on a day that everything seemed to go wrong for me. It wasn't even ten minutes into the meeting when Helen quietly slipped into the meeting room and whispered something into my ear that made me abruptly stand from my chair, spilling my cup of coffee all over the table. I must have absentmindedly placed it on top of the folder that was  slightly hanging off the table.

To my horror, I watched as it moved all too quickly and seeped into the papers that were in front of John who was seated just across me. 

I covered my mouth with hands to stifle my gasp, the only sound that I managed to let out of my vocal chords before looking around for some napkins. I found a stack nearby, semi-ran my way there, picked up a bunch and made my way around the table to where John was seated to dab on the spilled coffee which by now had seeped into half of the paper's already.

"I'm so sorry for this John." I tried apologizing as I dabbed on the brown liquid

It was pointless though and I think I only made it worse because I could hear Luke cursing.  

"Stand the fuck up John and move away."

Or I think that's what I heard because it was too soft, more of a hiss really, so I looked at him to see what his problem was. But he had on a stoic face so I looked back to John who was now grinning!

I looked back on the messy stack of papers on my hand but before I could apologize again, I heard Helen beside me. "I'll take care of this Mel."

That snapped me back to what she whispered before and that made me gasp again.  Helen seeing my distress took it upon herself to excuse me from the meeting.

"We seem to have an emergency that needs Melissa's attention." She then turned to John while holding the drenched stack of papers in her hands, "I'll make sure to take care of this, I should have a batch printed again in a few minutes." 

Then she gave a reassuring nod to Belle who also had a worried look on her face before ushering me outside. It was only when I was on the way home in one of the company cars that I seemed to have snapped out of my panic state did it all sink in. 

Alyssa couldn't keep her breakfast in but thank God Marie had called the doctor first before calling Helen. By the time I arrived home, the doctor was already there, told me it was some sort of stomach flu and that there was nothing to worry about.

I called the office right after the doctor left and was told by Helen the contract signing was cancelled because of the whole fiasco. They didn't sign the contract but instead opted to observe how we did things in the company first. 

I felt really guilty so after making sure Alyssa was okay, I went back to the office to see Bella, who was also worried about Alyssa, and apologized. She assured there was nothing to worry though, she was more worried about Alyssa than the contract.

After that day, I took it upon myself to avoid John and Luke, who I was told was staying in the company for a week. I don't trust myself enough to not to make another mess in front of them too.

Beep!

I was pulled out of thoughts when I got a notification on my phone. I quickly checked it and it was a message from Alyssa. She must have asked Marie to send one.

Mommy can I call?

I smiled while I called her. She must be getting impatient. Earlier, I told her I had a surprise for her if she won't give Marie any trouble. 

"Mommy!" I heard my daughter answer the call.

"Hi sweetie, have you been a good girl?"

"Yes, mommy! I did my piano lessons well and did not bother Marie while she cooked dinner. And I made a drawing for you."

I smiled as I looked at the drawing on my screen closely. "That butterfly looks so lovely sweetie, thank you."

"You're welcome mommy, I can't wait to actually show you when you get home."

"I'll be home in a few minutes with my surprise, okay?" I told her as I walked out of my office and into the elevator.

She showed me another drawing but I saw her yawn. "Why don't you get ready for bed, I should be there in time to read you a story."

"Okay, mommy."

"I'll see you in a few minutes. Bye, I love you." I then hit the end call button but was startled when I heard someone clearing his throat.

I looked up and saw a grinning John and Luke who had a grim look on his face. My mouth opened but no words would come out of them. When did they get on the elevator?  

Damn! I was going to make a fool of myself in front of them again so I cleared my throat. "Good evening John, Mr. Black, " I managed to say while putting my phone in my pocket.    

"Good evening, Melissa," John said with a nod. "Heading home?"

"Uh, yes. I um, I really apologize about last time. I hope everything is okay with the tour of the company," I said trying not to sound too shaky as I looked at both of them.

"Everything is great, we are actually quiet impressed especially with how you run the design team," John answered. "Mr. Black has some questions though, right Luke?"

I reluctantly face Luke but he still had that grim look, his jaw set. What is wrong with him?

"Luke?" I hear John say after clearing his throat.

"Yes, I'd like to discuss it over dinner." He said it in a commanding tone that no one would dare disobey. Well, no one except me. The old Melissa wouldn't but not me, he seemed to forget what he did to me. 

"I'm sorry someone's waiting for me, I need to get home right away." I gritted my teeth so I don't show what I really thought of him. When did he become such an asshole?

"But I'm free tomorrow, if that would be convenient?" I faked a smile but that seemed to put Luke into an even fowl mood.

"No-"

"Yes, that would be fine Melissa." John replies, cutting off an apparently angry Luke and dragging him out of the elevator which opened just in time to save me from this awkward situation. 

Thank God we seemed to be going opposite directions when we all stepped out into the basement parking area.

"Alright, I'll see you tomorrow then. I'll have Helen book us a restaurant," I waved as I made my way to my car.