Chapter 8

"Damn it!"

I furiously hit the steering wheel as if willing my car to move. My car just suddenly stopped and wouldn't start again. This was to be expected because although well-maintained, it was an old car and have been breaking down more often lately, but why today of all days?!

I quickly looked at my watch and let out a series of profanities in my head. Everything seems to be going against me today. First, I got stuck in traffic for half an hour and now this!

Not planning to waste anymore time, I grabbed my bag from the passenger seat, took the keys and got out of the car. I have no choice but to walk the remaining 4 blocks to the office. While walking I managed to call Helen to tell her to ask someone to take care of my car then continued on a semi-run to the office.

Today was the day I have been praying not to come. Black Industries will sign the agreement with us and right now, their representatives were probably in the conference room already. There was a possibility that he might not be there but while there was still a possibility-no matter how slim, that he would be, I prepared for this. But who am I kidding? My heart was racing and I know it was not because of the brisk walking. I was nervous as hell.

Beep!

My phone's message alert tone brought me back to my senses as I hopped on the private elevator. It was a message from Lois – Heard what happened. Do you want me to come get you? They are already here. All the department heads were invited to witness the event. Normally, they weren't needed so I think Bella was doing this to make me a bit more comfortable. She knew how close I was with Lois and Janna so she probably thought having them there would help.

I took a deep breath to calm myself. The message did not help. I looked at it one more time, hoping that today was not the day but it was still there so I took another deep breath. I can do this!

I slipped my phone back into my pocket. I chose not to reply, I would be there in just a couple of minutes anyway. Instead, I continued to do deep breathing while I watched the numbers on the elevator go up. Shit! This was not really helping, my heart was still racing.

Ding!

Taking a one more deep breath, I walked out of the elevator and came face to face with Helen who had a worried look on her face.

"You should have just stayed in your car and waited for someone from the car pool. You had us all worried." Helen said while taking my bag from me and handing me a bottle of water. I smiled, she always knows what I need.

"I'm fine Helen besides I was already running late so..." I paused to take a sip from the water but ended up emptying the whole bottle. Because of my nervousness, I didn't even notice how thirsty I was.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Helen asked, still unconvinced, taking the empty bottle from me and looking back at me again.

"You should freshen up and take a breath first. Don't worry about the meeting." She said again, not giving me time to reply.

I felt a wave of relief as we entered my office. This room was among the places I felt at home. I walked to the far corner of the room, opened my private powder room to freshen up.

I immediately caught sight of my reflection on the mirror. I was clearly a mess. No wonder Helen was more worried than relieved when I got off the elevator.

"I'll tell Bella that you've arrived but there's no need to hurry. Take all the time you need. Bella can handle them for a few more minutes." I heard Helen say as she closed the door behind her.

I grabbed my hygiene kit from behind the mirror and started fixing my face. Earlier, I was on the verge of hopping back on to the elevator and miss the meeting entirely. I was not needed there anyway. They'd clinch a deal and sign a contract without me but I didn't want to disappoint Bella. She was right, it was time for me to face my past and finally move on. This has haunted me long enough. Yes, after years, I finally felt happy and content with what I had, but, there was always something that held me back and I knew Bella felt it too every time she would catch me just looking at Alyssa.

My eyes didn't lie. I adored my daughter so much but there was also pain and betrayal behind it.

I don't know who were inside the conference room. If he was there, I honestly don't know how I would react but I have to start from somewhere. Hopefully, all those years I spent mending myself was enough for me to be civil and go through with the meeting without breaking down.

"Ready, Mel?" I heard Helen ask from the other side of the door.

I took another breath. Ready or not, I had to do this.

"Yes, I'll be out in a minute." I said as I took another look at myself on the mirror.

Helen was waiting outside with a cup of coffee, a worried look still plastered on her face.

"Mmm, this smells nice Helen. Thank you. "

Somehow the smell of coffee calmed me a bit. I always liked coffee. I had two in the morning, one at home and another that would be waiting for me here at the office when I arrive.

"Have they been waiting long?" I finally had the courage to ask Helen after taking a sip of coffee.

"No, you came in just after they settled in the conference room so you don't need to worry."

That calmed me a bit more. I quietly followed Helen to the conference room and took one last breath as she opened the conference room.

"Mel!" I immediately heard Bella say as she got up from her chair and made her way towards me. I tried so hard not to roll my eyes while walking to meet her. They worry too much about me.

"Are you okay?" She asked in a low voice.

"I'm fine Bella and good morning to you too." I assured her while giving her hug. I didn't see here earlier today. She came directly from the airport as she was running late too.

"Don't leave your car and walk by yourself again Mel"

Now, I couldn't help but roll my eyes as I heard Louis from behind me.

"I saw that and don't you dare say another word. You know it's not safe for you!" He half yelled and half whispered as he held on to my right hand.

"I'm fine. I'm here and perfectly..."

I was interrupted by someone clearing his throat and that's when I realized where we were. I was distracted with both Bella and Louis that I completely forgot about the meeting. I looked behind Bella and there, came face to face with the man I dreaded to see.

Standing in front of me was Luke Black, with the same deep blue orbs I could easily get lost in.