Chapter 5

"John, you better have good news for me," I said as I answered my phone.

I was in the middle of a meeting when  I received a call from John. I sent him on an important errand to New York two days ago and he had yet to give me a report. It had been on my thoughts the whole day so when my phone rang I hurriedly excused myself to answer his call.

"I do and I'm fine too, thank you for asking Luke."

"You've never been one for pleasantries. So shut it and tell me about the meeting," I commanded. He was starting to give me a headache with all the suspense.

John was my Chief Financial Officer but above that, he was one of my best friends. So when I finally got word about Melissa, I sent him on a guise to meet with her.

He was the most capable person to study an investment proposal and we needed to invest in Maude if I wanted to have some sort of connection with my ex-wife again. Melissa hasn't met John either so that would erase any suspicions that the meeting was other than pure business.

"Okay...okay! But you owe me for this," he reminded me once again.

I quickly massaged the bridge of my nose willing my headache away. The trip cost me a sports car and a couple of days leave for him. It was worth it though. I would give anything for Melissa. I just hope I'm not too late.

"You were right. It was her on that magazine that you saw. According to my sources here, she legally changed her name to Maude 3 years ago. It's still not clear how she is related to Bella Maude though. We are still digging on that and hopefully should have something for you again in the next few days."

I knew it! I have finally found you baby! You can't escape me now. I am coming for you.

Two months ago, I was browsing through a magazine when a picture caught my eye. It was one of the pictures of an article about a fashion house in New York. The picture was small but I knew I wasn't wrong. The woman on the picture had the same brown hair. It was longer but had the same curls. It was her... or was it?

The caption said Ms. Maude had been promoted to Artistic Director. Maude? I quickly skimmed through the article and found her full name, Melissa Maude! Melissa-it was the same name. Could this be her? Not wasting any more time, I called my PI and had her investigated. And I wasn't wrong to do that. It was her.

It was a little ironic because I had finally given up on her. I had my men look for her ever since she walked out of our house but it was as if she just fell off the planet. After 3 years of no news, no anything about her, I just finally gave up. I had started to drink again, drowning myself in alcohol, in misery and guilt-I was a monster! I've done the most unforgivable thing.

James, seeing I was on a spiral down again, brought me back to my senses again, this time with John's help. In the past 4 years, I've earned a punch or two from James. He wasn't afraid to knock me back to my senses. The day Melissa left, I got a black eye and a broken nose from him. I didn't fight him, I felt worse inside and the physical pain of his punches was nothing compared to the hurt and guilt I was nursing inside me.

I snap back from my thoughts as John continues, "About the investment, everything looks okay with the proposal. It is not the best investment we could make but the ROI looks good for a fashion house-"

"I don't care about the ROI. Hell! I'd invest even if it was on the verge of bankruptcy. Just make sure to close the deal and the sooner the better."

I was that desperate. I don't care about money anymore. I could earn it back easily. Melissa was more important than anything. Now that I know where she is, I will stop at nothing to get her back.

"Fine. James should be able to draw up the contract by this week. We can probably push through with the contract signing by the end of the week," John suggested.

"I'll have my secretary clear my schedule and book me a hotel for next week..." I replied "But on second thought, why don't you propose having it done here in LA? I'm more comfortable doing this on my turf."  

Heck, I was nervous! 

What if she doesn't forgive me? What if she has moved on? What if she's with someone? 

Well, I hope not. 

There was a short silence from the other end of the line then a chuckle, "Alright, who's this and what have you done with Luke?" John continues to tease, "I can't believe I'd see the day THE Luke Black so unsure of himself. I wonder what it was like when you two were still together. I bet she had you wrapped around those little finger of hers."

I can almost picture John's face smirking but instead of being angry, I smile. It was true. I gave in to all of Melissa's whims. I loved giving her everything she asked for and I can't wait to do that again.