Chapter 6- A Ladder Climbing Archer

Every noble man was expected to be skilled in the art of weaponry.

Alex was no exception. From an early age, he was taught sword fighting, hand to hand combat  and how to use an axe, among other things. His pride, however, was in his archery.

Nobody could shoot the bullseye quite like he could. Prince Alexander of Lyle Hill was famed for being the real version of Robin Hood. He'd won every tournament since he could remember. The arrow would sail through the air and hit the target nearly every time.

It was one of his true joys.

Today was no exception of course. With pleasant weather and only the gentlest of breezes, Alex could easily shoot on target. He stopped, however, at the familiar sight of Eliza.

"My Lady."

"Your Highness," Eliza greeted, her curtesy perfect.

"A pleasure as always," he took her hand, bringing it to his lips with a grin, "I hope you don't mind, I was just finishing off some archery. Have you ever tried a gloved hand at it?"

"Surprisingly, Whitehead did not feel that archery was part of the proper education for a lady. My brother taught me but I was too young to really remember it."

"Would you like to try?"

"I'll pass thank you- I can't guarantee that I wouldn't hit anyone."

"I wouldn't let that happen. Just one try and then we'll go."

"Am I permitted to refuse the prince?"

"If you don't, I'll lock you in the dungeons."

"Well we can't have that, can we?"

"The lady is fiery today. Just stand here and I'll guide you."

He handed her the bow, watching her attempt to point it correctly. Alex couldn't help but chuckle as she struggled to aim it correctly- Eliza had many talents, but it seemed as though holding a bow wasn't one of them.

"Allow me."

His arms moved around, one on her waist and the other on one side of the bow. The hairs on the back of Eliza's neck stood up as she felt his soft breath on her, her back arched against his chest. Both felt their hearts beat that little bit faster.

Why did he do this to her?

"Just aim it here, pull your arm back adjacent to the other."

He moved back and allowed Eliza to release the bow. The arrow sailed through the air and though it was far from the bullseye, it did somehow manage to hit the edge of the target.

"I cannot believe that actually worked. Well done."

"Thank you for your faith in me, Your Highness."

Eliza suddenly realised what she said was rather sarcastic, but her face softened as Alex chuckled at her.

"You must admit you also thought you'd fail."

"Well yes," Eliza admitted.

"Shall we head out?"

"That would be lovely."

Alex held out his arm in a gentlemanly fashion, Eliza taking it with uncertainty. As they walked down to the poor part of town, Eliza could not help but feel the buff of his biceps. It was ordinary to have a little crush, was it not? The prince was very handsome and had an athletic build. All the girls had a crush on him, the real life Prince Charming. She wasn't the only one who thought him to be attractive.