8 - friends

Monday rolls around and soon enough Gen and I are in dance, we are all sitting next to the wall, I have Gen on my right side and Alyssa on the other, with Kacie and James next to her

They are about to announce the roles for the gala, along with the solos and my anxiety is creeping in.

Everyone is nervous and excited for it and you can feel the tension in the room, all the dispersed voices stop the moment Mr. Montez enters the room.

"I see you are all here" he says looking at all of us, "And I have the list here in my hands" he says raising his arm with his hand holding a piece of paper.

"Mrs. Caddel and I spent a lot of time watching the videos of your auditions and we finally reached an agreement" He starts "So I will be naming the dancers chosen for the solos and duos, this year you'll have the freedom to choose the pieces and dancing style you will be performing, and they will be due in two days"

"Now, without further ado, I'm going to start naming you"

My heart is beating so hard at this point, the knot in my stomach making me take deep breaths to calm down.

As Mr. Montez starts calling names, we all clap, keeping the most important solos and duos at the end "Genevieve Coleman" he says for one of the important pieces and we all burst  into cheers for Gen, "Alyssa Cooper" and the whole room cheers, not hearing my name makes my anxiety rise "Now for the lead duo "Kacie and James Griffin" And I can't help but cheer and feel excitement for my friends, forgetting my nervousness for a second.

"Now, last but not least, the big solo goes to: Charlotte Finley" He says and the knot in my stomach dissolves and all my friends hug me, "Congratulations everyone, remember you are all participating in the group piece, and the people who weren't named are still going to have important roles in the gala."

I stay in shock for a brief moment, I had done it, the big solo was mine and I couldn't believe it, all the hard work paying off, I can't wait to tell my parents and my friends, they're all going to be so happy for me.

Then a memory comes rushing back to me, a few weeks back after Kalen and I had gotten pizza and he had dropped me off at my place "you're so gonna get that solo" were his exact words.

Kalen

I hadn't spoken to him since the morning after Daiz's party, after we almost kissed. I know I overreacted, he had told me he doesn't believe in love, and it was stupid of me to think that maybe we could get to be something more, just because we had gotten caught up in the moment, and it wasn't his fault. It was mine. I overreacted and pushed him away, when we're friends, just friends.

And I need to apologize to him.

"You are excused for today" Mr. Montez tells us, taking me out of my trance.

We all stand up and I hug my friends, happiness radiating from all of us, and them congratulating me for the solo, along with some other people I wasn't really close with.