11 - daddy issues

After I see Lottie making her way to the rest of our friends I start walking towards the figure that looks out of place in the parking lot

My body is as rigid as every other time I'm around him, and I would've gladly ignored him, but if my dad is coming to one of my games then something's not right.

He hasn't come to one of my games since my sophomore year of high school.

And judging by his aspect, he's not pleased to be here either.

His posture is as stiff as mine and he's dressed in a suit, meaning he just got out of work.

He works in one of the biggest firms in New York, meaning the stakes were high for me, but when I told him I didn't wanted to follow his steps, and instead focus on Football, it was a whole shit show.

We haven't talked much ever since.

"Careful, if someone saw you here it might ruin your reputation with your work buddies" I say go him when I approach him, referring to one of the many fights we had when he told me that me wanting to get drafted was humiliating to him and his status.

"Is that your way of greeting your father? I see your friends keep being a bad influence on you" He bites back, and I don't miss the way he says 'friends' he never liked Ethan or Dom and even less my other teammates, not that he ever met them.

"What are you doing here?" I snap, wanting to get to the point before he has the chance to insult my friends or say something that will make me more angry.

"I wanted to give you this" He days in the same monochrome way handing me an envelope with delicate gold letters in it, I see a 'D+E' in an overly extravagant font, and I should've guessed what it was from that moment, but my brain refuses to comprehend it.

"What is this?" I ask motioning to the envelope.

"Evelyn and I are getting married, she insisted on giving you an invite" He explains, and it feels like a punch to the gut, I don't dislike Evelyn, or have anything against her, and it was clear that this would eventually happen, hell they have two kids together, but the fact that she was the one that insisted on inviting me to the wedding was unbelievable.

You haven't had a decent conversation with the man in years, it's not that surprising. I think to myself.

"You can take a plus one" he says giving me a dad look that I don't quite get. "The date and venue are inside" He says and without another word he turns away, I watch as he gets into his car and drives away.

Once I snap out of it I make my way to my car, surprised to see Lottie patiently waiting outside of it, doing something in her phone.

"Why are you still here?" I ask opening the car.

She makes a small jump, and I crack a smile.

"I was waiting for you so we can go to the party" She says with an innocent smile.