Chapter Nineteen

The night flew by like a leaf caught in a hurricane. I'd been in a near frenzy, running from floor to floor, waking up some very confused police officers, and singlehandedly making the data room look like a bomb had hit it. We'd overlooked so much and trying to catch up with over a week's worth of undocumented deaths was like trying to empty the ocean one spoonful at a time.

My eyes burned with exhaustion as I scanned endless webpages and data sheets, scrutinising and theorising and trying to understand the sudden change in motive. Every so often, my head would rock forward and I'd have to catch myself before I face-planted my keyboard.

On the topic of tired, a certain sleep deprived schoolboy was almost definitely plotting my death. After all, I'd barged into his bedroom, hollering and laughing like a mad woman, just before he could get whisked away to dreamland. But L, on the other hand, couldn't have been more grateful. Finally, an end to his boredom - something that plagued each and every one of us. He'd been giddy all morning, glued to his computer and devouring more sweets than I could count in his effort to keep his energy up.

Not that I had much room to judge. I'd drank so much coffee my haemoglobin had probably started to cart around caffeine to my cells rather than oxygen. Super healthy, I know.

My beloved coffee cup, which by now had stained the work surface with multiple little brown rings, was held aloft in one hand as the other copied down names and dates furiously.
As my eyes once again threatened to drop shut, I raised the mug to my lip before realising I was sipping air. With a look of sadness, I glanced down at my empty coffee mug, moving to stand in order to pour myself some more.

"Does anyone want some more coffee? I really feel like I'm gonna pass out if I don't get another cup in the next five seconds."

L thrust his cup into the air with one long, gangly arm. No please, of course, and I made a point of huffing as I went to take it from him.

Before my hand could cup the mug however, L spoke. "Matsuda, would you mind getting me another coffee? One for Agent also?"

Across the room, Matsuda, being the angel he is, perked up like a puppy whose favourite toy was being dangled in front of his face. Tail practically wagging, he leapt to his feet.

"Sure thing, Ryuzaki!"

"No need. I can get my own," I scoffed, gesturing for the human puppy to sit (a command that he obeyed, if not hesitantly). "I only have one body, Ryuzaki, and I intend to put mine to good use. It'll do me some good to stretch my legs."

"You also only have one brain. Exercise that first."

"I've been exercising it all night, thank you very much! I'll be away from the computer for two minutes, tops. I doubt the investigation is going to fall to pieces without my input."

Behind me, Matsuda was caught in the awkward motion of sitting yet standing, sort of hovering over the couch. I shook my head at him. 

"Come on, Matsuda. Don't let him walk all over you! Tell him 'no Ryuzaki, if you want your coffee, you're gonna have to peel your ass from that chair and get it yourself'. I've seen him make coffee before - he's very capable."

"No, really, its okay! I don't mi—"

I glowered, eyes hardening, instilling the intended fear in my naive little padawan.

"Matsuda, if you bring him coffee, then he wins. Don't give him that satisfaction."

The officer slowly seated himself, glowing with newfound dignity, and I applauded my mini victory. Snatching L's mug from his hand, I stormed passed, ruffling his hair just to really piss him off.