Prologue

She had always been a shadow in society. One of those people you walk past but hardly acknowledge they're there. It was a blessing in childhood, a silver lining. Made her life a lot easier to live. As easy as it can be being an orphan alone in New York city.

That was, until, a strange man took her in, finding her alone on the bustling streets,. He took her to an establishment for gifted children. During the years she spent there, she was educated to the extent where her intellect surpassed that of children her age, even surpassing the average adult's too. The man, whom she never saw again after that day, had smiled at her. He claimed she'd be a great mastermind one day and that everyone would know her name.

But that was the funny thing, you see. She didn't have a name.

Deserted by her mother after she was born, she was thrown into a home for undesirables. There, they didn't have the decency to name her either. They chose to call her girl or brat - yeah, really rolled off the tongue, didn't it?

The adults were neglectful but the children? They were just cruel. She was beaten and bruised by the end of each day, hair pulled out in clumps. She'd been spat on; her bed desecrated; the few things she owned always went missing until she was left with nothing.

At that time, she supposed she deserved it. After all, she did always have some snarky remark up her sleeve that got rewarded with a harsh slap.

But on a night when the owner lay blackout drunk on the floor, she saw her chance and she took it. She doubted they'd miss her. And she was right to - because she was never reported missing. Escaping through that little side window was the first great decision she ever made. And even with all the hardships to come, she never regretted it - not even for a second.

So she lived for three years on the streets, adapting to her environment, learning how to survive. At the end of those lonely years, that man found her and whisked her away to a brighter life.

Unlike her former home, this new orphanage was a tightly ran ship. And there, identities didn't matter too much. They'd dubbed her Agent simply because that is what she was. It wasn't a name per se, but it was better than nothing. She remained there until she reached sixteen. At that point, she left, brimming with youthful recklessness and longing to see the world she'd learnt so much about. That's precisely what she did - travelling from country to country, continent to continent; just to escape reality.

Of course, all this travelling came with a cost. She could move as freely as she liked, funded by her benefactors, under one condition: she had to complete any case assigned to her without complaint. She'd expected as much. They really could be slave drivers when they wanted to be.

Naturally, she agreed and did whatever was asked of her. On some trips, she'd spend hours alone in a dim hotel room, collecting her research before sending it off to whoever ran the case. She'd leant her hand in many globally renowned cases, never credited for her efforts all the while.

She could care less. She was living.

Japan was her current home, the Kanto region to be specific, the third country she'd visited on her tour of Eastern Asia. She'd briefly gone back to America after being thrust onto a rather severe homicide investigation that had been taking place in LA. Exhausting work, but well worth the effort. The bastard was behind bars and she was eating dorayaki for breakfast every morning. So who was the real winner there?

One evening, she found herself painfully bored, mindlessly skipping through TV channels, all which failed to appeal to her. Just about ready to switch it off for the night, she stumbled upon a news channel.

A sharply dressed man - stern, no-nonsense kinda guy - sat behind a desk that held a card bearing the name Lind. L Taylor. She'd missed the first half of the broadcast but, if his spiteful tone said anything, he was making an accusation towards someone. Someone named Kira.

Tailor made a rather obvious point of saying that what he was doing (although she hadn't the faintest clue what this Kira guy was actually doing; apparently she'd been living under a rock) was wrong and evil; ranting on for a solid two minutes. Already captivated, her hands scrambled for her laptop, itching to research this mysterious Kira and discover what terrible wrongdoings he'd committed.
However, just as she opened up a browser, her questions were answered as Tailor collapsed onto the desk. Mouth agape, he clawed at his shirt, face contorting in pain. He died there and then and was carried away silently.

Sitting there stunned, she stared intently at the screen - much like most other Japanese citizens watching the news right now. Some small voice in the back of her head wondered why the hell they hadn't cut the broadcast yet. Surely this was bad for their ratings! In the next heartbeat, the screen cut to a white background with a gothic letter slapped right in the centre. This was a letter which she had seen before and was very much familiar with. She sucked in a breath. Oh hell yes.

L.

L began to speak, his words coming out distorted through what was likely to be a voice scrambler, and revealed that this whole broadcast was a rather risky stunt he used to lure Kira into a trap. Believing he was killing the real L (in other words - a threat), Kira caused the man to die of a heart attack without actually having been present in the room. Now, she was intrigued. She had to be on this case. Everything inside her was leaping with excitement, her thoughts clashing and colliding as her mind kicked itself into work-mode.

Keeping her eyes glued to the screen - because like hell she'd miss even a second of this iconic broadcast - she reached over to her phone and dialled the most recent number. After a few moments, the dial tone was replaced by a voice.

"What's up?"

"Hey. I need you to do something for me."

"And what exactly would that be?" the voice asked curiously.

She grinned. "Work your magic for me, would you? Arrange me a meeting with L. I think we might have something interesting to discuss."

*     *      *     *     *

A/N

Official reboot of this story starts now! Yay!