5

Y/n gulped, looking helplessly at Meeks before turning around.

"You're the new student" Dr. Shultz sniffed reproachfully as he glared down at her. 

"Yes sir, I am, I apoli-"

"That will be enough." He cut across her retort, his face going red, despite there being a lack of catalyst for such a reaction. "In my class, there will be no discussion of topics other than the noble science of Chemistry. Any student caught distracting themselves or others around them from their work will not be permitted to return." He said angrily.

"Sir, she's new she wasn't awar-" Meeks ventured, looking sideways at y/n.

"Silence Mr. Meeks, she will not get any special treatment, just because she is a... she's an..." He struggled to find an accurate word to voice his apparent disgust. "Anomaly"

Y/n felt a sinking feeling in her chest. She had a feeling some teachers would think this. Go harder on her because she was a girl attending Welton.

"Yes sir. My deepest apologies" She said glumly. He tutted and walked back to the front of the room. Y/n sighed, pulling out her textbook, and a notebook as she cracked it open and began taking furious notes on the lecture Dr. Shultz had begun at the front of the room. She was determined to prove she belonged at the esteemed academy just as much as anyone else.

"Y/n? Are you ok?" Meeks asked in an almost silent whisper when Dr. Shultz had his back turned. She gave him a small smile and nodded once. "Mhm" She murmured.

In her mind, she had thought it best if she stayed quiet for the rest of the class, so as not to provoke any more outbursts from the professor. But her overwhelming instinct to show off for the others around her destroyed that potential. For every question that was asked, she raised her hand to provide the answer. At first, Dr. Shultz utilized an avoidance strategy, calling on another student to answer for him. But as the lesson carried on, and the difficulty increased, it was just y/n and Meeks left with their hands in the air.

"And so the catalyst for a reaction such as this would be... Mr. Meeks?" Shultz said pointedly, glaring as he called on Meeks for the eighth time in a row. 

"A nucleic acid with a carboxyl unit, sir" Meeks volunteered but looked around as y/n kept her hand in the air. 

"No Mr. Meeks, that is incorrect. Does anyone else know?" Dr. Shultz asked, looking around the room hopefully, in case someone else knew. Every student in the class shifted uncomfortably in their seats. "Very well, Miss Y/l/n?" He asked.

"That would be an Amino Acid, with a carboxyl group sir," She said proudly. 

"Correct. And what is the function of that reaction in practical use?" He prodded as if hoping to catch her getting one wrong. Meeks beside her was rifling through the textbook, to find proof as to where he got the question wrong.

"Subsidizes fats and lipids on the outside of the Mitochondrion, I believe," She said promptly. 

"Yes. Good." Dr. Shultz replied abruptly. 

The lesson continued, but the Professor began to call on y/n more and more, just as much as Meeks. Her hope grew a little more each time she got one right and was grinning by the end of class