16

No words could describe the mysticism that swarmed in the air of that cave, causing it to buzz, and spark with the electricity of ingenuity. The foggy tiredness contorted into a sort of drunken tomfoolery, mixing with the cigarette smoke and adding to the haziness. 

Poem after poem was read, each one becoming more vibrant. Knox read his own one in such a low whisper that it seemed almost more quiet than the cacophony of hearts beating in the cave. Charlie yelped his so loudly it was nearly unintelligible - but none of that mattered in the slightest. 

Finally, Meeks stood up and chanted a Wordsworth poem about Daffodils so musically, that the whole group began to sing in rhythm, marching around the cave, like beasts preparing for a hunt. 

Y/n awoke the next morning with no memory of even making it back to her bed. She supposed she must have been so drunk on life, that one of the boys assisted her. All she knew, was that she had a pounding headache and a pile of homework waiting for her on her desk. 

At least it was a Saturday, and there were no lessons. She had a debate club meeting to attend with Cameron that she was highly contemplating skipping. Not only that, but she had agreed to do a History study group with Neil in the library after the boy's soccer practice. She slightly envied their ability to participate in sports, she wasn't allowed to because she was a girl. But she thought it was a good idea to get some fresh air, and made a plan to watch the practice while she ate lunch. 

But first, the homework.

It took her nearly all morning to complete the single trig assignment they had been given, and by the time she was done, she was almost late for debate club. Hurriedly pulling on her blazer she dashed into the hall and ran through the grounds, stopping outside the room to compose herself for a moment before entering. 

"Ah, y/n, we were just about to start," The teacher said from the front of the room. She nodded and smiled taking her seat next to Cameron. 

"Where were you?" He hissed as the proctor began describing this meeting's assignment.

"Stupid trig kept me all morning. Hager's really cracking down." She muttered back. She really wished he would just save the lecture. It wasn't what she needed right now.

The meeting wasn't as bad as she had been expecting, they weren't actually debating that week which was a relief. She prepared an argument for the next meeting, something mind-numbingly dull about the need for government-facilitated fact-checkers in published newspapers. Of course, she thought it was total bullshit and would be arguing against it on the premise of first amendment violation, but it wasn't something she was passionate about. When she had been asked to join the debate club, she had eagerly agreed, but she thought they'd be debating the really important issues, like the war, or Communism or... Women's place in higher education...

She said bye to Cameron and set off towards the lunchroom, grabbing a turkey sandwich and an orange before making her way out to the field. 

"Faster Perry, move those feet, there ya go" Mr. Keating was bellowing at the tussling boys on the field. Y/n approached him, smiling over at the game. 

"Good afternoon, cap," She said brightly.

"Oh! Good afternoon, Miss y/n. It's a pleasant surprise seeing you here. I didn't know you were a soccer fan?" He said genially.

"Yeah! I used to play, back a Ridgeway" she told him.

"Really?" He seemed surprised. 

"Yep. I was a striker." She answered. "I asked Nolan if I could join the team here... well... you can imagine how that went down" She chuckled.

"I certainly can," He said with a knowing smile. "Well, you may not be able to join the team, but I see no reason why you can't join the practice. Here, I even have a few extra cleats over here. What size are you?" He asked.

"Really?" Y/n looked ecstatic. "Oh, thank you, Mr. Keating, you have no idea how much this means to me!" She said, beaming excitedly.

"Oh don't mention it, you deserve it after all you've contributed to my class." He said.

As she pulled her cleats on, he blew his whistle and the boys all gathered around him. 

"Alright men, we're having our first sub in of the year," He said. "Hopkins, sit this next bit out. Miss y/l/n here will be playing striker." He said. Everyone looked surprised, but would never dare go against what Keating had said. 

"Oh, and Charlie, I want you and Mr. Wilson to switch goalie's" Keating added as everyone, including y/n began jogging back onto the field. Y/n grinned. Oh, she couldn't wait to see Charlie's face when she was ready to score on him.

The whistle blew again and the game began. The other team was much stronger in offense and defense, so she didn't have much to do for the first few minutes. She was, however, happy to see that most of the boys felt fine passing to her, and trusted her enough to handle the ball. She was just as good as many of them and had excellent dribbles.

Finally, the game picked up the pace and she was running beside Pitts with only a single defender blocking them from the goal. She sensed where he was and dodged neatly around him, perfectly accepting Pitts's pass and charging Charlie. He tried flashing her a distracting smile but she ignored it, focusing intently. He crouched, ready to block. She feinted left.

And he took the bait. 

He dove, and she hesitated, giving her the split second she needed to ram the ball into the top right corner of the net. A perfect goal.

Charlie looked amused, rather than bitter, and everyone was cheering. She felt a few pats on the back and could see Keating grinning from the other end of the field, punching the air with a proud fist. 

The game continued on, she scored some more goals, and so did the other team. The game was fun regardless, and she enjoyed the sweaty walk back up to the school. Everyone was really impressed, and it made her feel so content. She was appreciated.

"Let me just shower quickly, and I'll meet you in the student room, ok Neil?" She called to him as the group split ways.

"Sure!" He replied. "See you in ten!"