just like her father

paris
the agreste home
adrien + mari
(future au)
_

emma agreste stood on the balcony of her mother's old room. she had heard countless stories of this very balcony, but she had never had a story to tell herself.

"em!?" he heard his fathers soft calls. emma sighed, wiping her eyes quickly, and trying to make her face seem like it wasn't just laced with tears.

her fathers had peaked through the skylight, seeing his daughter sitting down on the old lawn chair. he hoisted himself up, and sat down beside her, wrapping an arm around his little girl.

who wasn't very little. she was nearly fifteen years old, and she had wielded the black cat miraculous for nearly a year now. although she had her mother's dazzling blue eyes, she was every bit her fathers daughter. from her hair all the way down to the way she acted.

which could sometimes be a bad thing.

"was she just here?" adrien asked his daughter.

emma sighed. "she left awhile ago," she replied referring to the new wielder of the ladybug miraculous. "i've just been too tired to go back down."

they were at the dupain-cheng for marinettes birthday. often at big events like this, especially ones that the press loved to be at, emma snuck away to her mother's old room, loving to be surrounded in the things her mother was surrounded in when she was her age.

it also helped that her partner was able to swing more easily onto a balcony then into a window.

"i know that look, em," adrien whispered. "i'm your father. what's up?"

"nothing," emma mumbled. the silence fell between them as the stars twinkled above them. "just... i feel like i'm not good enough for this family. i mean, everyone expects me to be some child prodigy because of my last name, and i'm not at all like that! hugo's only two years older then me, and he's already been accepted into like eight million ivy leagues with full scholarships, and louis is younger then me, and he's already found that he's incredibly talented on the piano. i'm not at all like my brothers, or you, or mum. i cant live up to this name!" 

"em-" her father began, but emma cut him off.

"and everytime the reporters ask us questions about what i've been doing or what i've been working on or anything like that, you all have incredible answers with incredible achievements! i don't even know if i'll have my homework finished for school tomorrow! i'm a nobody— a nothing— compared to you all!" emma cried, tears dripping down her cheeks.

"oh emma." adrien said, wrapping her up tighter. they say in silence for a second, emma's cries slow and silent.

adrien suddenly turned and grabbed his daughter by her shoulders, making her look him in the eyes.

"now that you've gotten it all out, listen to me," he said in his stern father voice. "you are not a nobody, nor are you a nothing. your brothers are incredibly talented, but guess what none of them could do? be ladynoire. sure, hugo is amazingly smart, and louis is beautiful with a piano, but emma is the one who can save paris in the span of a bathroom break. you don't have to have it all figured out, princess. you're still young. and honestly, if you did have it all figured out, i'd be worried. between saving paris, going to school, balancing a girlfriend, and being so present in your family; you've done more than enough for your age."

emma looked at him and furrowed her eyebrow. "do you really think that?" she whispered.

"more than anything." he smirked back.