PART 4: TWO MASTERS WHO AWAKEN DIFFERENT FEELINGS, AND THOSE WHO ARE HIDDEN

The colorful refraction of the morning sunbeam flow and bounces amongst the lush leaves of the backyard's fruit trees. But a roaring shout follows behind, echoing on the leaves.

"Your stance is unstable, plant your feet firmly but agile don't just drag them around!" Atthaphan shouts, "Imagine you have wings on your feet and not shackles, you mere mortal! Embrace your freedom to move!"  

Prachaya gives a veiled deep exhale and fixes his footwork. He is no novice in martial arts but his years of training turn into nothing in the sharp eyes of Atthaphan. Perawat was true to his words when he said Atthaphan is an expert. A perceptive man, he can find even the minuscule of mistakes, the slightest of wrongs. And he never holds back in pointing out this inadequacy.

Many might find it annoying, especially for the likes of Prachaya whose teachers in his homeland were not anyone puny. And he sparred with some of the greatest knights in the realm. Yet he accepted all Atthaphan's corrections with a wide heart and broad mind. Other than that he is a man taught not to be judgemental towards others, Prachaya is certain that Atthaphan knows what he is doing, not the kind of person who only jabbers empty words. 

That is why Prachaya doesn't ever want to put himself in front of Atthaphan's slash range. All he needs to do is engrave on his brain that making him strong is Atthaphan's task and this is his way of exercising it. He is who he is. And as his student, Prachaya needs to be able to keep up. He has to.

From day one...

That next morning after the day in the library, Atthaphan was already sitting at the breakfast table. He was more silent than his usual nonchalant demeanor. He still answered his brother's questions but Prachaya could feel a cold surge running in his blood whenever Atthaphan stared at him.

Prachaya wrecked his mind looking for an answer. Did I do something that offended him? I didn't even see him till this morning. 

But he couldn't find an answer.

Because he never knows the fury of a jealous little brother...

Finishing their tense breakfast, Atthaphan was true to his word in teaching Prachaya. He was already waiting in the backyard, standing in front of a rack filled with various lengths of wooden staffs and sticks. 

And what a first day it was. 

Even synchronizing their basics was not child's play for Atthaphan. He was serious, stern, and harsh from the moment he grabbed a stick and hurled it at Prachaya. The fire in his eyes was scorching Prachaya's that was full of determination. Instead of burning that determination to ashes, it built a flame of fervor.

Atthaphan's first words were a fair warning, "I don't like teaching by a mass of words. We are not playing logomachy here. Hear what I say, you watch what I do, copy what I do and learn it, memorize and practice it. Ask me questions only when your thick skull could not digest my teachings. And mind my words once I give them to you, I don't like repeating them." 

Lifting his staff, Atthaphan's eyes were burning as he continued, "I know you already have a foundation, so I will not waste my time teaching you from the very bottom. But I will teach you how to fight and defend yourself, and also protect the others around you. Open your mind widely so we can start. We are not blessed with much time for us to goof around." 

Therefore, Prachaya has become a fast learner. Theories and practices, footwork and hand movements, controlling and mastering his inner strength and agility. He has to because as Atthaphan said, they don't have much time. 

And the short time they have continues to pass. The sound of clanking woods of their training staffs had dissipated. They were already discarded. Although Prachaya practiced with various weapons, the main weapon will always be his sword. Atthaphan is no mean master, his teaching is systematic, he gives breaks and rest, but the times in between are like sliding on a snowy slippery track. Fast and furious. He teaches tediously and very thoroughly, hard but also careful. As mentioned before, nothing escapes his sharp sight.