Chapter 4

"I volunteer as tribute"

"Well I believe we have a volunteer." Effie said while I was too busy thinking about those crazy words just came out of my mouth and before I knew it I was walking up to the stage with a crying Prim trying to get to me.

"Y/N! Y/N!" Prim screamed as peacekeepers were pulling her away from me.
"Its ok prim, it's okay. Dont worry." That's when Katniss came of and grabbed Prim and started to take her away. It's like she had read my mind and knew I didnt want Prim to watch me die or the lead up to my death.

When I finally got up to the stage I felt my legs go weak and shaky and I thought I was going to throw up. But I k we that I just had to keep it together for a bit longer. I slowly walked up the stairs trying my hardest not to trip.

As soon as I got to the top stair Effie came over and dragged me over to the microphone.
"What's your name dear?" She said in the nicest voice possible.
"Um-Y/N. Y/N Jones." I reply mumbling as if I dont want to be heard.
"Well district 12 lets have a big hand for our very first volunteer" Effie says rather enthusiastically out to the crowd. Slowly everyone starts raising there hand into the air.

"And dear if you dont mind me asking, who was that? Who did you volunteer for and why?
"Em- that was my friend prim, they are practically my family and I couldnt let them get into this. I reply.
"Aw that's so sweet. So you were just trying to protect your family."
"Yes!" I say in a rather vold voice.

"Okay well now for the boys." Effie announces as she walks over the the bowl with all the boys names in it.
"And our Male tribute, Peeta Mellark!"

I had never heard that name before so I started searching the crowd for this mysterious Peeta. And that's when I notice everyone slowly edging away from this boy. The boy looks as if he is maybe 16 or 17, and to he honest he looks like he is going to shit himself. He hesitantly pulls himself up the steps onto the stage and goes to stand next to Effie.

"Well District 12 here are your 2 tributes for this year's hunger games. Y/N Jones and Peeta Mallark
She says expecting a burst of applause which never comes. She looks pretty disappointed until she looks at the two of us and moves out the way and continues to say "Shake hands. And may the odds be ever in your favour." I rolled my eyes at this statement but knew she was only saying 'may the odds be ever in her favour'