Chapter 6

Me and peeta both get put onto a train for travelling to the Capitol.
"Two hundred miles per hour and you can barely feel a thing. I think it's one of the wonderful things about this opportunity,that even though you're here and even though it's just for a little while, you get to enjoy all of this." Effie said with a smile on her face, while me and peeta stare at her blankly.
"Well I'm going to find Haymitch, he's probably in the bar cart." Effie replied and walked away.

"Have you ever met him?" Peeta asked quietly, while I just ignore him.
"You know Y/N he is our mentor. He did win this thing once." Peeta says, while I continue to ignore him.
"Look you know, if you dont wanna talk I understand. But I dont think there's anything wrong with getting some help." Peeta replied a bit more harshly this time.
I decide to reply to him this time, I was starting to feel bad he seemed nice and like he was genuinely trying to help. "Look, I don't need help and I don't want to be friends so if you dont mind I'm going to continue ignoring everyone. Okay?"
As I finished saying that Haymitch walked in, clearly drunk and on his way to get another drink.

"Ok. So, uh....so when do we start?" Peeta asked.
"Woh. Woh. You're so eager. Most of you arent in such a hurry." Replied a drunk haymitch.
"Yeah. I wanna know what the plan is. You're our mentor, you're supposed to....
"Mentor?" Haymitch finished his sentence.
"Yeah. Our mentor your supposed to tell us how to get sponsors and give us advice"
"Oh. Okay. Um.... embrace the probability of imminent death. And know, in your heart, that there's nothing I can do to save you."

I finally spoke up kind of annoyed by the people I was stuck with.
"So then why are you here? "
Haymitch simply holds up the glass in his hand and replies "The refreshments"

Peeta tries to grab the glass out of haymitch hand but is knocked to the floor.
"You made it spill on my new pants, I think I'm going to finish this in my room" Haymitch said walking away.

"He'll come around" peeta said starting to go after him.
"It's know use" I reply in an angry tone.
"I'm still gonna go talk to him" and with that he left to go after haymitch.

~~~The next morning~~~

As I walk into the main room to get breakfast i overhear peeta and haymitch talking.
"You'd freeze to death first."
"No cause I'd have alot of fire"
"Ha, that's great if you want to be killed."

I quietly sneak up behind them, "what's a good way to get killed" I ask trying to sound enthusiastic.
"Oh joy, why don't you come join us I was just giving some lifesaving advice."
"Such as??"
Peeta interrupted " I was just asking how to find shelter"
Haymitch started to speak again "which would come in handy if you were in fact still alive."
"How do you find shelter" I asked more intrigued.

Haymitch ignores my question and just asks me to pass the jam. I ignore his request and just reply with "How do you find shelter?"
"Give me a chance to wake up sweetheart, mentoring is very taxing stuff." He says while pouring alcohol in his coffee and then "can you past the marmalade"

All of a sudden I get angry and stab a knife into the table next to haymitch hand.
"That is mahogany!" Effie yells.
"Look at you, just killed a place mat. You really wanna know how to stay alive? You get people to like you."

I cant do that, I cant even make friends. how on earth am I going to get a bunch of fancy people to like me? I thought to myself.

"Oh! Not what you were  expecting. Well, when your in the middle of the games and your starving or freezing, some water, a knife or even matches can mean the difference between life and death. And those things only come from sponsors, and to get sponsors you need to get people to like you. And right now sweetheart you not off to a real good start." Haymitch says as we start to enter the capitol.
Peeta instantly goes up to the train window and starts waving and telling me to come wave too.
Haymitch hands me the knife I had previously stabbed into the table. "You better keep this knife, he knows what he's doing."