Speckles of Memories...

The dust had settled in thick, on top of the self, that he was sweeping unsuccessfully for the third time. Kathir almost coughed his lung out as he swiped for a fourth time. "Romba thusiyo?", came a voice behind him, less concerned for his health more with a sinistery jest in her voice.

Kathir turned around to face her with squinted eyes, glaring at her nonchalance, "Yen kekka matinga... Panrathu naan'atche..", he grumbled loud enough for her to hear. Purposefully

Parvathy giggled, "Panuu pannu, Athai kaga ithu kuda panala na eppidi..", she teased him as she pulled chair for herself at the dining table,

Kathir gave a a very indigent sputter. "Ungaluke enna patha pavama illa, vella menakettu inga oruthan dhusikuda lam sanda podurane nu kavala iruka.." he gave the glitter like dust particles that were floating in the air an unnecessary whack of frustration.

Parvathy didn't really seem to think there was anything pitiful about this, but before she could say anything else, a voice came in reprimanding her, "Parvathy nee seirathulam seri illa solatan, veetuku vantha thambiya ippidiya vella vanguva nee..", Murugan was at the door, his hand holding a bulging plastic full of groceries. Kathir stepped down from the arm of the sofa, he had been standing on, and came to help him.

"Nala kellunga mama.. Kathir pavam..", he gave a very sweet smile to his Mama and moved the vegetables to the kitchen table where Parvathy was cutting an apple. She fixed Kathir with a look and beckoned him to come closer.

He did so. "Nee ithulam ennakagava pandra..", she said to him in a low voice and watched in satisfaction as his eyes went wide in surprise, 'Enna kandupudichitangala.?.'

He looked away in the other direction in lighting speed, "Athuu mama intha vengaiyam enna vella vikkithu..", he made small talk, escaping his aunt. Murugan and him talked bit about the scorching heat and the ever raising price of groceries

"Parvathy, Mullai call panna ma, bus la book pani iruka polla.. Chennai lanthu ellarukum enna vangitu varathu nu ketta..", Murugan told his wife. Kathir couldn't help but suppress that small smile that fought its way up. Mullai and her love for shopping... his polar opposite. There were days he would have had to be dragged by the ear by his Anni because his shirts were getting tighter and he didn't even notice. He never really had an opportunity to know for sure but he could bet that Mullai was the type that could lose herself in malls...

That was probably one of the main reasons she had stuck to Chennai like a leech all these years he thought menacingly. Kunnakudi has... good...scenery, that should count for something... noh?

...maybe not.

"Ava mothla vettuku vantha pothum nu iruku...", Parvathy gave a sigh, she spoke Kathir's mind,

"Ennakum than" Kathir murmured, forgetting that he was next to someone who had well trained hearing, "Ethu?" Parvathy turned to him. "Ahn, onnum illaye..." He pulled an nonchalant face and walked away from the table to the stove and made some tea..

In the background, Parvathy started murmuring things to herself and her husband as to write down all the things Mullai had to buy for their her relatives. It was mostly clothes and chocolates for Dhanam's baby girl, Chandrika.

"Kathir.. unnaku enna pa vangitu vara sollatum.." Parvathy turned to him, after noting down that Mullai should get sarees for all the females in the house.

'Unga ponnu vantha pothum...' He thought to himself, as he sipped his tea and gave Parvathy a calm smile, "Onnume venam athai..."

"Chumma sollu.. antha odanja dabba, phone'u soltu suthitu irukiye, onnu puthusa vangitu vara sollava?" she asked with a sinister glint in her eyes. Something that Mullai too had. It was as though he was seeing a replica.