Pitter Patter of Pain...

A/N : Next few chapters would have some flashbacks in them. So italics = flashback. Normal = present. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kathir woke up to the soft pitter patter of rain, the cool cloudy day, it made him pull up the bedsheet to his chin and try his luck with sleep again...

But alas, his ungodly routine of waking up early has backfired on him today. Moorthy had told him the previous night that he didn't need to come to the shop until the evening. Kathir had planned to stay in bed until then. He was so annoyed with himself, not only because his sleep cycle was so inconvenient but also because once he was conscious... 

He... thought about her

Anything and everything reminded him of her. Even if he tried to distract himself he derailed back to her somehow. He flattened his hair on to his forehead and groaned loudly, "Loosu agiruva daa Kathiru..", he told himself.  It did not work, only now he could see Mullai giggling and nodding, Maybe saying something along the lines of "Already appudithane..", 

Maybe... it's been so long  that he has had a proper conversation with her. (Birthday and holiday texts  not included) that he didn't know if that's how she is anymore. The old Mullai would have. He knew that for sure. There was nothing he didn't know about the old Mullai.  

The rain pelted down heavy as thought it was agreeing with him. He turned to see his pale yellow curtains bring in wind... 

The rain reminded him of her too. No. It reminded him of 'them'.  She loved  the rain. She never said it out loud. But it was written all over her face.

Mullai being a single child was always protected by the normal things kids would do. Like ride a bike or play in the rain. Parvathy stern look at been her boundary. But he always saw how her face brightened up as the smell of wet sand hit them. Shed had always looked up at the boring grey clouds as though it was magic. She'd look up at the heavens as though all she wanted to do is douse herself in the rain. It was a surprise no one else saw the yearning in her face... 

Kathir always did.. He always thought of her when it rained, when if he was busy the rain would halt him and demand his attention. And if he gave in he would spend the whole day in a depressed daze of how she wasnt with him, here. 

It would bring back, memories of how they used to be...

Together.  Close. Inseparable. 

Unbreakable... or so he thought. Pain slapped his insides like poison as he closed his eyes, dying to think his most cherished moments were mere memories he was aching to relive. 

Milton's School of Higher Secondary,  

9th A, Second floor,  Fifth Classroom , 

Third row to the window, Fourth bench, 

"Maam," 

"Yes"

"Rani maam permission pottu urgent vellanu poi irukanga ..9th section B ku ippo than Social neenga classes ah join pannikuringala?"  the receptionist, more dearly known as Gracy akka, entered with a plea, 

Fourth bench, girl next to the window, a single long thick plait braided  and tied with a white bow... More dearly known as ...Mullai ...straightened up from her lazy crouch. Ears perked up and her doodling came to a stop. '10th B ah.. Kathiravelan atchee' she went on full grin in her head... and her face.