The Weight of Gratitude...

The heat of the faint sunlight tickled his eyelids, begging him to get up from his lazy slumber because....Mullai was in Kunnakudi!

...Kathir jumped up to a sitting position and blinked around for a second. 

She's here!! He felt so silly but he couldn't help but think that it feels different to imagine that someone who was so far from him was now breathing the same environment as he was..

He gave a goofy grin and threw the bed covers to the side. "Mullai veetuku vanthuta.." he said in a low sing a song voice, "'Mullai yen kita vanthuta.." he whispered this part in his head. It was too ridiculous to even say it out loud in an empty room. 

Then shook his head...No, he was skipping a lot of steps.  No.. No, that part was not true and little to early to proclaim that. And that was so incredibly cheesy and corny even Kathir couldn't even believe he said that. 

He took a minute to calm himself down, "Ivlo ellikatha, thirupiyum cancel panniru ka pora", his pessimistic side took lead. Just the thought made him sober. If she cancelled this time too, he would find his way to chennai and that's the end of story, he said to himself.  

But there was a chance she didn't. So, he tried not to skip down all the steps on the stairs.

At the breakfast table,  Keerthi was already making plans to go see Mullai in the afternoon, while Dhanam suggested calling her home so all of them could catch up. Kathir sat down as he bit his lips. So it's confirmed, she was in kunnakudi. 

"Anni vayasu poonunga evlo secrets pesuvom.. Athu puriyamaa..", she earned a knocked on the head from Kathir who took the extra pleasure in doing so before he sat down on the breakfast table.

"Yamma nalavale, nanum ohn vayasa thandi thanma vanthu irukan.. maranthuratha ..", Dhanam said haughtily,

"Hehe, tension agitingala anni.. Na summa sonnan', Keerthi tried to save face, with a funny look 

Kathir couldn't help himself, "Mullai inniki thani vanthu iruka.. En eduthone thontharavu panra.. Avala rest eduka vidu", he said as nonchalantly as he could. But he couldn't blame his sister. His heart had been beating hard and fast ever since he woke up. His toes were fizzing, more of an itch, to race to Mullai's house right this minute.

"Hmpf athulam unna maari hi bye friends ku.. Mullai erangunone ennaku call panta theriyuma?", Keerthi showed off , she stuck her tongue at him.  

Kathir threw a spoon at Keerthi and she ducked in time. But what she said toiled in his insides with petty jealousy, "How dare she" he thought, "Intha vaandu lam yen kita thirupi pesura maari vechi irukale..",

"Irunthalum konjam space kudu.. Ava konjam settle agatum..", he rebutted, Dhanam came in dropped a dosa on his plate and agreed with him,

"Yennaku avala pathi theriyum ,nee chumma iru.. She loves people around her", that bit was true. "Plus.. ava pesunanthu liye theriyuthu .. she really needs people now nu", Keerthi said this part in a low quiet voice. 

Alarm bells went off in Kathir's head as he sat up straight at once. "Yen enna atchu.. Enna sonna?" he asked, his voice as hard as stone. 

Keerthi didn't find his reaction odd at all. They all knew how close Mullai and Kathir were. They didn't know about the love part. But they knew the intensity of the bond between them.  "Ava ethum solla thevaye illa.. Ava voice liye theiryuthu.. evlo .. marita nu" she said, giving a side eye to the kitchen doorway making sure Dhanam was out of earshot. 

"Yen? Eppidi pesuna." Kathir drilled futher, 

Keerthi drew her eyes away from the kitchen in a annoyed huff, "Avlo akura iruntha call panni neeye pessavendiyathu thani, " she said and got up from the table ignoring Kathirs threats to sit back down.