Prologue | Yaksha

[Y/N] stood at the top of Dragonspine, trying to survey the snow-covered region for any resources. The mist combined with the heavy snowfall of the freezing mountain made it almost impossible to see further than a few meters ahead. Luckily, she wasn't planning to stay long. She was only passing through Dragonspine to escape her older sister's wrath. Her sister was none other than the infamous Baal, who was currently competing to take the role of Archon in Inazuma.

    She and her sister used to be on quite good terms. That is, until [Y/N] started trying to persuade her sister into giving up. [Y/N] had thought that taking the spot of Inazuma's Archon would be quite dangerous, especially when so many vision wielders were competing. Plus, just being an Archon required lots of time, and ruling an entire nation isn't easy. Baal immediately assumed that [Y/N] also wanted the position of Archon, and since the pyro wielder was on equal footing with Baal, she had started chasing [Y/N]. Baal, as many knew, wanted to be eternal and never fading. If her sister was in the way, she could never be at peace, knowing that [Y/N] could possibly take her authority away from her.

That led to the fleeing of [Y/N] from Inazuma, with her sister on her tail.

Hopefully, she'll think I took the path around the mountain to avoid the cold... [Y/N] decided to sit down by the bare trees on top of the lonely peak. Hah, thank Celestia I had been blessed with a pyro vision. I don't know if I could've survived the ascent without it. Though, that does mean that Baal would have a harder time getting here. But a box of matches could've solved the problem of the cold easily.

[Y/N] wasn't well versed in the geography of Teyvat, at least not outside of Inazuma. Let's just say... geography wasn't the strongest subject for [Y/N]. But of course, there were many things could make up for it, such as the quick thinking of the [H/C]-haired girl, how well she does in battle, and many other things that didn't include anything close to geography.

    Unfortunately for [Y/N], her sister had arrived at the top of the mountain as well.

    Baal had a scowl plastered on her face as she silently spoke to herself. "Where did that child go... She should be up here, considering her pyro vision."

    [Y/N], on the other hand, was temporarily hiding behind a rock, only daring to take one peek.

    Sadly, one peek was all her sister needed to find her. Her [E/C] eyes were a contrast to the white snow coving the majority of the mountain, and Baal spotted her immediately.

    "Get back here! Stop running! You can't take my future as an Archon away from me! That position is mine for all eternity!" Baal quickly chased after [Y/N], who was running away, her [H/C] hair flowing behind her as she descended the steep terrain. "Hey! Stop! Let me properly challenge you, you coward! If you want the spot so bad, then prove to me you're worth it!"

Gasping for breath, [Y/N] turned around, her feet never stopping. "I don't even want to be an Archon! I just don't want you to be hurt! You'll have too many enemies as an Archon!"

"Haha, what a fool. You can't fool me with those lies!" Baal kept running after her.

    Argh! Damn it! The whole idea of being the ruler of Inazuma is changing her! She's literally insane for the position! [Y/N] deeply regretted letting her older sister, who used to be her best friend, enter the competition of being given the title of Archon. Chasing after each other... it had happened quite often when the two were playing tag when they were younger. One of them would run after the other, laughing as they ran. I just wish she wasn't so hungry for power and being eternal...

    Noticing that Baal had lost her, [Y/N] quickly climbed up a tree, trying to gain some source of camouflage. She watched in utter silence and fear as Baal turned her head around when she was right beneath the tree.

    "I could've sworn she went this way..." Baal left after a few seconds, probably not wanting to put more distance between her and [Y/N].

    Releasing a sigh of relief, [Y/N] slowly and carefully climbed down the tree, a few pine needles stuck in her hair.

    Her peace didn't last long, as she heard the soft crunching of the snow behind her. Without turning, she literally jumped of fright, and proceeded to sprint away, thinking that Baal had discovered her once again.

    "Wait, I mean no harm." [Y/N] was confused. It wasn't the voice of her sister, but that of a man. It was a quite deep one as well, and unlike Baal, it was also quite calm and relaxed. Slowly, she turned around to see a man in a cloak. "My name is Rex Lapis. And I would like for you to join my Yakshas."

    "No! I won't follow a creepy old man anywhere!" [Y/N] pouted slightly and crossed her arms.

    "Don't worry, I won't try anything. Look, there's another one of the Yakshas I just recently met." The man who identified himself as "Rex Lapis" pointed towards the direction of the tree [Y/N] had hid on. He wasn't lying. There, beneath the tall pine, stood a boy around [Y/N]'s age. He held a spear, looking around the area. "He's also from Dragonspine. Perhaps you've met?"

    "Whaaa? This is my first time in Dragonspine, don't be silly. I'm only trespassing."

    Rex Lapis chuckled, a deep sound coming from his throat. "That doesn't matter, I'd still like to recruit you as one of my Yakshas. You'll help me gain the position of the Archon of Liyue, and in return, I'll grant you safety from your sister, and a share of the prizes that come as being Archon."

    "Wait, so you saw the whole thing? And you didn't even bother to help out? What a meanie."

    "I—" Rex Lapis was stunned. Was this a child, or someone who possessed great power? Or maybe both? "What I meant is, we can form a contract. You'll help me, and I'll help you. Plus, you're fine right now, aren't you? I would've stepped in if you were near death."

"Ugh, I bet you would've just left me there to die. But I guess I'll take the offer. If you're so certain that you can defeat Baal, please beat some sense into her."

"Then the contract is sealed. You'll work as a Yaksha, and I'll protect you from your sister. If everything goes smoothly, I'll try ridding her of her thirst for power."