IV

"Does this seem like a fair price for Newt's eyes?" Joelle whispered to Abraxas. He had been staring at a pair of Merfolk scales that were gleaming brightly in their little fish bowl. He turned to look at what she was holding up. He saw the bottle with the dozens of eyes in it, and they all turned to look at him. He grimaced at it and looked at the price tag.

"I don't know. I feel like it's a little low?" he asked. He had literally no idea. His family had never had to worry about price when it came to things like this. Sure, he could tell you how much to expect for a blue velvet suit with magic pockets and charm inlays. Yeah, he could guess how much a plate of Hippogriff steak with sides would cost at La Vie en Vert. And he could tell you off the top of his head how much an illegal flying ticket for a broom trip over Leeds cost (125 Galleons). But when it came to these mundane things... He was miserable at guessing.

"Low?! C'mon, Malfoy! You're supposed to be helping me save money!" Joey said as she burst into a laugh. He couldn't help but smirk a little, rubbing the back of his neck. She peered up at him and added it to their basket. She could haggle it down. Abraxas had insisted on holding the basket for her. She had assured him she would be able to carry it on her own, but he was not hearing any of it. So now he carried the basket that was slowly growing heavier with each item added, but he didn't seem to mind or even recognise the weight.

"Newt eyes... Bat spleen... Knotgrass... Giant purple toad wart..." Joey was reading off the list of ingredients for the potions, and she started to feel a little overwhelmed as she put it in quantity. With the ocean gem being bought by the Reginalds and the spike blossom seeds provided by Annabelle Nately, the list was significantly cheaper. But the sheer quantity of things needed was enough to remind Joey of how much work it was going to take to try and brew this weeks long potion. But then she looked over at Abraxas and saw his furrowed eyebrow as he tried to figure out what one would even use Iguana Blood for. She knew exactly, and it invigorated her. She knew she could do this. She was a brilliant witch with a natural talent for potions. She developed her skill for the art over the last 5 years, and there was nothing going to stop her from trying to help Dori.

"We just need to find some Moondew and mom's Porcupine Quills. Then we're set to get out of here!" Joey beamed up at Abraxas, who just nodded to her. He still had that sullen, icy air about him, but after seeing him yesterday, she knew that it was just how he was. Just like how she had a smile on her face by default, he had icicles hanging from his frown.

"Riverwood. Moondew," Abraxas said and motioned to the shelf above her. She stood on tiptoe and was barely able to peer at the labels. Some were dusty and dirty. She had a hard time reading them. Abraxas stepped up behind her and looked onto the shelf for her. She felt a deep blush settle on her cheeks as she gently scooted out from in front of him. He held the vial out for her. "Good?" he asked. She nodded with a smile. He added it to the basket with a responding nod. She could still feel the heat from his body on her neck and back, and she then felt the heat transfer to her face and ears as she blushed deeper. He raised an eyebrow at her. "Are you warm? We can get out of here," he said in regards to her face flushing. All she could do was nod to him.

On their way to the counter to purchase their items, Abraxas remembered to grab a pouch of porcupine quills for her mom. Joey smiled at him in thanks, having completely forgotten in her fluster. The clerk at the counter was one she had talked with plenty of times, so the bartering and haggling wasn't new to him.

"Tell you what. I'll knock your total down to 14 Galleons, 9 sickles, and 20 knuts if you bring me a half dozen Skele-gro potions," he said as he twisted a finger into his beard.

"Why don't you just pop over to the apothecary and buy them?" Abraxas asked curiously. Joey elbowed him sharply, finding it to be a fantastic trade.