IX

"That's the fourth bouquet this week already," Cass said with a roll of her eyes as she walked into the Hufflepuff dorm room. She dropped her shower caddy onto the floor and went to flop in her bed. "Can you just hurry up and forgive him so I don't have to see another one of these victimised flowers?"

Joey was carefully watering the new bunch of flowers she had just received from Abraxas. "These ones are alive. Beery really laid into him when he saw the bouquet in the common room," Joey said as she moved the flower pot to the window.

"You've got Ancient Runes with them both in a little bit, right?" Vivian asked as she sat up. She was the latest riser of the 4 girls. Joey was out of the room first, followed a bit after by Arianna. Then Cass usually waited for Viv, who always took her sweet time. She was yawning and rubbing her face as she looked at the clock on the wall. "Are you going to talk to him today?"

Joey shook her head with a smile. "Sure not!"

It had been a week since Abraxas exploded at her about her ring and then confessed why he was angry. The 2nd week of Hogwarts was wrapping up, and Joey had spent all of it arguing with her intended. This time last year, she was partying it up with her group of friends, enjoying life, and trying to forget that she had applied to enter the Program so she could help her family and with Dorian's attack.

"I wouldn't talk to him either! What a moron, overhearing something and then getting angry even though he misheard," Cass said with a roll of her eyes. "Oh, he was out there for you again. One of the 4th years told me," she added to Joey, who then rolled her eyes. She hadn't gone with him to the Great Hall since last Friday. Once he realised just how angry with him she was, he started sending her flowers and chocolates and new quills. Just about anything he could reasonably send to try and buy her favour back, though they were both aware that she wasn't with him for his ability to buy her things. She was with him because his blood was pure, and the government said they belonged together.

"I've been starving for ages," Joey murmured in anger. She had been used to eating breakfast first thing in the morning at 7am, but now it was just past 8. Her stomach growled with a fury. She felt almost weak without her daily ritual.

"Just go. If you see him, ignore him. You're getting really good at it," Cass complimented. Joey debated staying and waiting, but she couldn't hold out any longer. She grabbed her backpack, wished them a good day, and left the dorm. She got to the common room as a 1st year student was coming in.

"There's a guy standing outside the barrels. Is that okay?" he asked her. She narrowed her eyes on him, but she had a feeling she knew.

"Slytherin?" she asked. He nodded. She sighed and smiled. "Yeah, he's fine. He's a friend. Go get ready for class," she said and exited. Abraxas was leaning against the wall, and he wearily looked up to see if it was finally her. When he recognised her, he stood up immediately.

"Riverwood," he started, but she walked past him without so much as a glance. "Riverwood, please," he begged, following her. She ignored him, walking past the fruit painting with a huff. "Joelle," he said. She stopped in her tracks, but she didn't turn to look at him. "Please, can we please talk?" he asked. She took in a deep breath and motioned with her head for him to follow her.

They went down to the same tree by the lake, and she gently lay a hand on it, apologising for all the yelling it's had to endure. She took in a deep breath and turned to face him for the first time in days.

He looked like shit.

She supposed anything less than immaculate was pretty bad for Abraxas, but his hair was messy and looked like he had merely thought about running a brush through it yesterday. There were dark circles beneath his eyes, accentuating how light grey they were. His gaunt cheeks looked exceptionally hollow today. He looked tired. She knew it was cruel, but she felt a small victory that he looked as bad as she felt.