VI

Joey felt his lips, cool against her skin, and her eyes opened in surprise as she realised they had found their mark on her cheek. Her cheek was burning so hotly from her blush that the contact almost made her jump. He smiled as he pulled back and away from her. "Did it work?" he asked, eyes stuck on her face. She was nearly as bright a red as the tomatoes in her garden, and he couldn't help but notice it made her freckles stand out more. Joey flicked her eyes around Abraxas' shoulder and saw that Tom had turned away from them, talking to some friends, and she nodded. He smiled and said softly, "Told ya."

He took a step back from her, and she was finally able to draw in a breath. She didn't realise she had been holding it. She blinked once. Twice. Then drew another breath.

"Are you okay?" he asked, concern creasing his brow again. She just nodded, head full of helium.

"Excuse me," she said and wandered away from him. She felt woozy, light-headed, and like she was walking on air. She stumbled into the restroom on the main floor and locked it tightly before allowing herself to collapse against the sink. Shaky arms held her up as she stared at her reflection, and she had to use cold water to help ease the blush on her cheeks.

Joey hadn't been kissed on the cheek by anyone outside of her family and her close friend group. When Tom greeted her cheek against cheek today, Joey wasn't sure how to react other than discomfort. She didn't hate Tom, but she certainly didn't like him. He (cunning, mischievous, and insidious) stood against everything she stood for (honesty, loyalty, and hard work). Sure, he had his moments; he had been kind to her once or twice in the past. But she saw the way his little followers acted toward others, and it annoyed her.

Abraxas had been the same way when she first paired with him just about a month and a half ago now. She was genuinely scared to see how he would treat her and react to their pairing. But he had been nothing short of proper and kind thus far. He insisted on escorting her whenever she went out on her own, and he had even come over once or twice to help with the potion. When Anna had delivered the seeds, he had been waiting patiently in the Riverwood's den with her siblings to ensure it was the amount and correct ripeness that Joey would need. And, he sat with her patiently as she crushed, minced, and added the seeds to the potion. She had seen him this summer more than she had seen even Viv. Cass was no competition, since the girl was in and out of Riverwood manor like a breeze.

He didn't talk much while he was over, but she didn't need him to. He listened, and he remembered. That was what was important. Because he remembered when she mentioned she was running low on pink truffle oil, and he had posted some to her the next day. He remembered when she said she wasn't fond of bell peppers, and he had mentioned it casually in a conversation with his parents a week later. He remembered when she had complained about not sleeping well the night before, and he had Rico concoct her a sleeping draught.

Joey stared at her reflection in the mirror and watched as a realisation settled on her features. Her eyes widened. Her mouth opened in a gasp. Her blush returned with a vengeance.

"Oh Merlin. I have a crush on my fiance!"

~ * ~

"And finally, I would like to thank Abraxas for being such a lovely partner to our darling Joey. He has been thoughtful and attentive, which was more than we could've hoped for when we enrolled her into the Program. Abraxas," Gerald turned his gaze to the Malfoy as he wrapped up his speech. He raised his flute of champagne into the air and said with a grin, "Welcome to the family." The crowd cheered and raised their own glasses before drinking.

Abraxas stood abashed beside Joey, an arm around her waist. Rachelle had been the first to make a small speech, then Serpentis, followed by Dakarai, and finishing with Gerald. Both Joey and Abraxas wanted to shrivel up into the shadows as the attention focused on them. Abraxas hated the spotlight, and Joey was not in it enough to hate it. So he had promised, when Joey's mother called for attention because she had some words to say about the engagement, to never leave her side. They would get through this together.